Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Setting up AVC2s & multiband compression

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting up AVC2s & multiband compression
    Posted: 26 March 2017 at 3:06pm
Hello, I just set up a soundsystem in a venue and it sounds GREAT!

I'm wondering if an AVC2 set up to A-weighted curve will turn all down when the sound hits the top of the curve or if it's clever enough to turn it down by a "flipped! A-weighted curve?
I'm not sure if it's "sensing" a-weighted or outputting a-weighted...

It's the usual issue:
At the start of the night they think there's too much bass
At the end of the night they think there's too much highmids

There's several ways to get around this:
1. Having a soundengineer, this won't happen often, it's a club.
2. Having a multiband compressor, which is yet another unit in the path + Eq's are not nice.
3. Having more output limiters & mids & high on lms, which I did set up, but compression isn't nice.
4. If that AVC2 turns down after A-weighted curve it could be perfect, if not I'll tell ask them to make it! :-)

Best would be a LMS system won't turn up mid&high as much as midbass & sub when pushed...

Oh, by the way, the system is:
4 tms-2s, set up quadrophonic
6 Groundsound ported horns in a monostack.
Xilica xover, lab gruppen amps 4-way: fp2400/6400/13000 :-)

Subs has been delayed so all timing matches from all tops & subs in the middle, feels great!
Of course quadrophonic configurations are always a mess, but it works well, seems to kill the reverb.
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2017 at 5:40pm
Sean will be along any minute recommending soundweb with its a programmable controller meantime forget AVC2 for anything beyond getting frustrated explaining how It works to deaf DJs. The AVC2-D are far more usable or thexdrawmer
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2017 at 10:17pm
Unless you need a cretin limiter I would forget the AVC or the Drawmer, they are only used when the DJ has never met me with a 4x2".

If you really just need to alter the low end level, do just that.

I assume "they think" they are the owners/manager just get a daul gang 10K log potentiometer and wire into the the balanced feed from your DSP to the sub amps, put the thing in a box with a Knob on it and let them "tune" the low-end from 0-100%.

Easy, personally I would add 2 fixed resistors so that they can only tune from 40-100% to avoid them turning the subs off and calling you out to mend the system...

Dicking about with a DPR-901 or similar will not ever achieve what you want, a Soundweb with a PC and web cam might after 100 hours RnD, but a simply "bass" know either back of house or in the DJ booth will...

BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2017 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by tv00 tv00 wrote:

Hello, I just set up a soundsystem in a venue and it sounds GREAT!

I'm wondering if an AVC2 set up to A-weighted curve will turn all down when the sound hits the top of the curve or if it's clever enough to turn it down by a "flipped! A-weighted curve?
I'm not sure if it's "sensing" a-weighted or outputting a-weighted...

It's the usual issue:
At the start of the night they think there's too much bass
At the end of the night they think there's too much highmids

There's several ways to get around this:
1. Having a soundengineer, this won't happen often, it's a club.
2. Having a multiband compressor, which is yet another unit in the path + Eq's are not nice.
3. Having more output limiters & mids & high on lms, which I did set up, but compression isn't nice.
4. If that AVC2 turns down after A-weighted curve it could be perfect, if not I'll tell ask them to make it! :-)

Best would be a LMS system won't turn up mid&high as much as midbass & sub when pushed...

Oh, by the way, the system is:
4 tms-2s, set up quadrophonic
6 Groundsound ported horns in a monostack.
Xilica xover, lab gruppen amps 4-way: fp2400/6400/13000 :-)

Subs has been delayed so all timing matches from all tops & subs in the middle, feels great!
Of course quadrophonic configurations are always a mess, but it works well, seems to kill the reverb.

Back in 2004 George Gleeson wrote in the now defunct newsgroup alt.audio.pro.live-sound :

The deq2496 from behringer has a "dynamic eq' which is like a band pass eq that only engages once a user definable level has been exceeded like a multiband compressor sort of

you select a band pass from 120 cycles and down and have the deq feature apply minus 15dB of gain to
it once he pushes the volume past your limit point Once he goes to far he losses all bass and must pull back to  the safe  zone to get it back!

like I said there are other ways to do this but DJ's seem to like to futz with gear

I personal can not tolerate to have to babysit my systems and this no deflatable feature is just the ticket
George

and then the next day he added:

You can even set up separate filters one as described above and another that boost the bass until a user
defined volume point is exceeded, kind of like a loudness contour on a home hifi
george

If you want to read that newsgroup (no non-spam action since January 2013) you'll need to have a newsreader and access to a usenet news server - I hope that this is some help.

cheers  BJ

Edited by BJtheDJ - 26 March 2017 at 11:57pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 12:03am
Something something fletcher munson....

Dynamic EQ would work, look at a SIDD, DP548 or NST audio unit. Or the new Behringer DEQ

Best to have a engineer preset tho
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 12:17am
DEQ won't work will it???

"At the start of the night"... not amount of electronic crap can help here, that would be a closed loop system, you need an open loop system, unless the SIDD has an RTC input...

The prob is an empty room booms and a full one soakes up bass, in very simple terms, how the hell is a BSS/XTA/Lake/behringer gonna work out if the room sounds boomy?

Junk like SIDD is great for your bedroom, but will never sort this out without human input, as it tkaes a person to make the call as to what EQ is required.

Now if the very simplistic version of a "bass knob" won't work (it probably will) the olny other option is to program a "start of night" out on the LMS and an "end of Night" ouput and use a quad gang-semi-inverted log pot to cross fade between the 2, yes a Soundweb offers this easily but as long as the LMS has a spare out you can do it.

Top tip: you make a semi-inverted quad gang log pot by attaching 2 dual gang log pots back to back, so you build a rotary cross-fader..

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 9:47am
Thanks for all the answers, I'm not sure what you mean by a crossfader?
-and yes shagnasty booming is one thing coming into play:

-When the room is full Meat, cartilage & bones of the people are perfect bass absorbers.
-The human ear sensitivity raises dramatically up to 4khz were it hurts when loud.

So it's not just the subs that needs to go up, the kick/midbass as well, basically a unit turning down by an a-weighted curve would be perfect, yet again eq is never perfect, as it will twist the phase unlike output gains being adjusted on the lms, but adjusting output gains on lms brings along another issue: It changes the crossover; Imagine "lifting" the bass curve output, the point where it crosses with the next speaker will then also be raised! So at the moment 15s are crossed 226hz, whereas 10s go in at 265 hz, otherwise there's too much overlap giving far too much 250hz.

So at the moment I'm thinking of two options:
1. Doing 2 or more xover presets
2. Using input a/b for start of the night & input c/d for the end, yet I can't adjust gain for output seperately from each input (just turn on / off & then gain), so this means I'd have to add eq to either input ab or cd. For now I just showed them how to turn amp knobs, but this won't really work.

I'm thinking this is a VERY common issue, so good to see some solutions out there! , what is SSID? The
DP548 or NST audio looks interesting, but I wasn't hoping to invest in a new dsp :-)

Edited by tv00 - 27 March 2017 at 9:57am
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 10:51am
this table says that sound absorption of humans is more than double at 2kHz than 125Hz:

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/acoustic_IOI/101_13.htm

which suggests the problem should be the opposite one of what we all experience. the way bass and mid/high propagate in the room are very different though.

possible other factors:

standing waves being damped by extra bodies (rather than uniform absorption of bass). if eq'd flat to start with this would be much less noticeable. but 'difficult' to get uniform bass eq in a room.

extra power compression in bass drivers - magents have significant thermal mass and take a couple of hours to reach max working temperature.

compression: if the volume creeps up during the evening you will start to hit compressors and limiters in the system. full band compressors can compress either the bass or treble more depending on settings. multi band compressors will tend to compress the bass more because the average to peak ratio for bass material is usually less.

If only we could get a few hundred people to stand about while we do pink noise tests.

having a 'bass knob' is the best solution - I just wonder what frequency to set the filter at. It's not necessarily the same as where the Fletcher-Munson curve start going up (~200Hz). I guess about 500Hz and down is the band to boost when the room fills up.

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 11:07am
There won't be that much absorbtion at 2khz, as tops are flying shooting straight in the ears & subs are on the floor playing into the crowd, but then it must be much due to human ear sensivity. A dynamic eq multiband compressor should be set up to hit broad area at 4 khz, not the bass.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 11:33am
A crossfader pulls down one signal as it brings up another, so a single knob that sweeps from "early" to "late" setting is what I had in mind, the staff can just turn it to desire place for the time of evening/punter load.

I don't see that you can do this automatically with any degree of precision as you would litterally need a web cam to count the heads to make EQ changes.

What LMS are you using and are the TMS-2s (which I assume are stereo) 2 or 3 way active?

MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 11:35am
Sabine Real Q(2)? If you can find one.

Wang up a mic in listening spot, set EQ pattern of choice. Mic listens to room and system.

As environment changes, temperature, humidity, bodies, etc, Real-Q inserts narrow band pass white noise at -30dB to signal, and listens to just that frequency band. Sweeps over 20Hz-20Khz in about 2 minutes per stereo channel (for quadrophonic you may need 2 x Real Q?), and then adjusts EQ to maintain whatever was set when room was cold.

Automatic and continuous. Old skool, but works.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 11:40am
Quote from Real Q2 blurb:

How do we do it? 
The Key is The Sub-Audible RTA. Sabine’s patented Sub-Audible RTA provides the power to analyze the sound system and the room during the program. The only way to achieve this level of analysis with conventional EQs and RTAs would be if you continually stopped the show and analyzed the entire frequency spectrum in the room. The REAL-Q’s patented algorithm employs a three-step process – Masking, Filtering, and Adapting.

MASKING:
The first order of business is to hide the reference signal in the program. The REAL-Q constantly analyzes the program for an opportunity to check system frequency response. For example, in order to check at 400 Hz, the REAL-Q waits until the program material is rich in content near that frequency in order to mask the reference signal.

FILTERING: 
Once the masking frequencies are detected, the REAL-Q momentarily inserts an extremely narrow filter at 400 Hz, typically 80 dB deep. A 400 Hz signal is momentarily injected into the center of the filter, typically 60 dB below the average program level. Meanwhile, a reciprocal filter is placed in the reference microphone circuit, removing all program material. Now only the reference signal remains. At the moment of test the REAL-Q2 perceives the test tone, not the program material. And the algorithm is so powerful, it accurately measures the reference signal even if it is buried 6 to 12 dB below the room’s average noise level.

ADAPTING:
The REAL-Q compares the level of the 400 Hz signal to the level stored at setup. If the level has changed, the REAL-Q makes an appropriate adjustment to the 400 Hz slider, in 1 dB steps. This EQ adjustment increment can be set by the user, up to 3 dB. This whole process typically takes less than 300 milliseconds per measurement, and is repeated across the entire audio spectrum every 4 minutes. Typically there are three measurements per EQ slider to average out local anomalies like room resonance and reverberant field reflections.

Heard it in action back in the day (late 90's) and it just worked, similar environment, just JBL big arsed rig in a venue for 800-1000 peeps, but similar concept.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>