Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - LMS - raising crossover db or reducing output db
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LMS - raising crossover db or reducing output db

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LMS - raising crossover db or reducing output db
    Posted: 27 March 2017 at 6:31pm
Quick question and im sure there is a very good reason (I just dont know what yet)
Playing around with levels between my tops and bins.
My LMS allows me to increase the db at crossover level, or reduce the individual channel outputs
My current setup is admittedly top heavy. 
So for the current forum LMS newbie, whats the difference between boosting the 40-100 crossover for the bins or reducing the output on the tops?
Thanks (again) for helping with todays stupid questionEmbarrassed
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 6:53pm
what is your lms? are you sure the db setting at the crossover points isn't the slope? (12db, 24db etc) sorry if that's an oversimplistic answer and of course you're not confused about that hehe.
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

what is your lms? are you sure the db setting at the crossover points isn't the slope? (12db, 24db etc) sorry if that's an oversimplistic answer and of course you're not confused about that hehe.

Its a Peavey VSX266 Confused which has zero userbase! (though im going to regret all my posts about the bloody thing when I come to sell it and someone googles VSX26!)
Its definitely raising levels as I was playing on the fly before I took everything down ready for the weekend, its not the 12/24 slope on the crossover Wink that much I do know.
I may well be missing something, though I have noticed on each output I can only reduce db, not increase. Crossover allows increase, so maybe Ive just answered my own question
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by IainB IainB wrote:

whats the difference between boosting the 40-100 crossover for the bins or reducing the output on the tops?
No difference at all, reducing what you don't want is the same as boosting what you do want and is actually the better way to go about sound shaping.. as long as this still allows you to set the limiters correctly.
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

whats the difference between boosting the 40-100 crossover for the bins or reducing the output on the tops?
No difference at all, reducing what you don't want is the same as boosting what you do want and is actually the better way to go about sound shaping.. as long as this still allows you to set the limiters correctly.

Thanks, ever so slowly getting my head around this.
Now to go an search the Peavey forums and see what increasing / decreasing does, fingers crossed there is a post hidden somewhere with the details (as the manual is next to useless with information)
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 7:49pm
Maybe try and read a more comprehensive manual of a different LMS and then apply it to yours. There is nothing that I saw unique to that LMS compared to others. Terminology may be slightly different but you could work it out through a block diagram.I found it easy to understand after starting off with a Behringer and Void Digidrive V1

Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Thanks, ever so slowly getting my head around this.
Now to go an search the Peavey forums and see what increasing / decreasing does, fingers crossed there is a post hidden somewhere with the details (as the manual is next to useless with information)
ewan360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewan360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 12:17pm
The VSX has a user base of at least two - you and I! Wink

Pinyorouk is quite correct, there's nothing particularly different in the way the VSX works to any other LMS, and I've used a few.
The gain on the crossover and the output attenuator are both in the digital (pre D-A converter) domain, so it really doesn't matter where you do your balancing, as long as you don't clip, which is unlikely, as there is enormous amounts of headroom on this unit. Having said that, the more output you get, the better the signal-to-noise ratio, which is an issue on this unit as it has such a huge output signal. Hence why I turn my amps down half way, which makes setting the output compressors/limiters up virtually impossible. I could probably burn some midnight oil working it all out, but it would always nag me that it might not be correct, and hard compression/limiting in the wrong place can be just as damaging to speakers as none at all.

Ewan

IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by ewan360 ewan360 wrote:

The VSX has a user base of at least two - you and I! Wink

That is awesome news Ewan LOL I thought I was the only one over here lol
May have also sussed the 'dodgy' output on this... think its a bad lead, as it did it at the gig on Saturday, after passing a successful sound check. 2 hours later after going out for food and 1 channel has dropped... again. Leads were the one thing I didnt check last time (user error on my behalf) so thats on the list of things to sort before the next one
 Post Reply Post Reply