Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5000W Build suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5000W Build suggestions
    Posted: 02 April 2017 at 4:18pm
True - a slap of PVA does wonders for longevity, if nothing for looks.

OSB is an underrated alternative to marine ply/MDF.
I seem to remember all sorts of rubbish speakers being made from it and covered in Tolex, back in the day...

Edited by I-shen Soundboy - 02 April 2017 at 4:19pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by charlynch charlynch wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/HK-Lucas-600-watt-sound-system-1-x-15-subwoofer-2-x-8-satellites/112332737194

1p under budget & probably equivilent to 5k skytec watts

Those look perfect for what you want. And unpainted MDF is suicide.  Confused

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 1:41pm
Whereabouts are you OP? I've got a pair of 12" + piezo cabs here, they're old but in good condition, built from 1" ply so very solid, £30.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Mawby Mawby wrote:

the amount of people i couldnt have a definite number but i could say from 2-15 people ish

What numptie suggested you needed 5000 watts for that number of people? Must be the most blatant bit of poor advice ever!

Jeez,in the early years,5kw would have filled Hammersmith Odeon,for 4000 people. Robbo will concur.

My first system was just 2x120w,and was fine for medium halls of 150 ish punters using just a pair of w-bins with horns.

Edited by jbl_man - 02 April 2017 at 12:04pm
Be seeing you.
charlynch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 10:56am
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 7:18am
Yes, if one can do things "oneself", you can find quite usable drivers, and make some poorish looking, but well working boxes. Even DTD can be used if you don´t mind additional bracing and insane weight. I have built few subwoofers with cheap drivers (Similar to Eminence Delta 15 or Kappa 15) and with processing, you have nicely sounding bass box for $40-$50. Same way of working with tops, but here you have to know the stuff to develop yours, or it will sound absolutely terrible or blow up.
What will be most pricey part, is the amp, or amps to feed your speakers. It´s in that $$$ range....
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 12:30am
400£ for 15 people?

Super cheap bass cabs off ebay... reinforce the inside. Seal them with glue along all the joints inside the cab (PU based glue) and a single 12" top cab!
Crossover and a single amp at about 1500w should do you. Run the top off one side at lower volume and the bins off the other!

Thats your cheap option! It wont sound great but it will make some noise..
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 9:00pm
As it's for 2-15 people, howabout some decent hifi-speakers or, yes, perhaps even some Skytec cheapish tops, with a single PA-subwoofer? It's what I'do for that amount of people.

Johan
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 6:46pm
i just spent £97 just on 4x 10m 2.5mm speakon cables and an xlr patch loom Ouch
Buy right, buy once.
You can't polish a turd!
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 12:09am
Building for pennies, so I'd forget the paint, filler and plywood. 18mm OSB or MDF au natural should get the cost down, steal a shopping trolley for the grille and get creative with fittings. It'll look like shit, but you'll learn enough doing it and have more cash left for better drivers and amps.

Edit: of course, scraping around the bottom of the suicide rig market can yeild some very good bargains, often needing enough work to satisfy any diy urges.

Edited by I-shen Soundboy - 01 April 2017 at 12:13am
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 11:57pm
£10 on nuts bolts and screws. £10 on glue. £5 -10 on filler. £10 on sander belts n paper. Need a new blade and/or router bit £30. Rollers £7. Nearly a quarter of the budget without making anything sadly.

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Originally posted by rosssss224 rosssss224 wrote:

2 x kapap 15 LF  £180
2 x ply sheets       £70
1 x full range top   £40
1 x crossover      £50
1 x qsc 1450       £100
1 x ??amp??       £50

for example and that's £490

And don´t forget the £50 for the tuff-cab!  Tongue  Big smile

Plus AT LEAST £70 for speaker cables and interconnects..
And another 35 for a third sheet of mdf/ply for building a ravk to keep that lot in... then more ££ for speakon sockets AND dishes for the back of the bass bins...

Hopefully you already have a mixer....

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>