Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommendations!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstep77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendations!
    Posted: 03 April 2017 at 10:21pm
I have just bought a trailer for my bicycle today and it is just big enough to put one of my 18" reflex subs on.

I've got a Mini DSP and some tops.

Can anyone recommend me an amplifier and battery combo for 1x18" in a reflex?

Would be nice if it could last 6 hours or so. How do I calculate this? I know P=IV etc but what do you guys use as a duty cycle factor? Obviously if its reggae dnb it is maybe higher, but what about for say hip hop or house?

Budget i guess around £100 for the battery and £100 for the amp but am open to suggestions.

PS Anyone got any ideas on how much I can physically tow on my bike? It will be around Bristol so it's likely gonna involve some hills!

Cheers.

Matt

pics to follow in a few weeks....
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 11:09pm
Class D car amps. Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer & JL Audio all make nice small, efficient car amps: 600w/4ohm from about 3kg should be doable for a ton, same again or less for a 4-way (bridged to two channels) for the tops.
Leisure/deep cycle batteries (not car starter) give the best £/W ratio, but weight a lot: 25kg for a decent one.
Aforementioned amplifiers would need 100Ah battery to go for 6 hours; you may need less, and being handy with the volume can do wonders for longevity (conversely, too much Welly and it's all over too soon).

Lithium-ion arrays are about a fifth the weight of lead acid, and easily five times the cost and complexity. For a ton, you're looking at lead acid. I hope the trailer is a good one, you're going to need thighs like Chris Hoy pulling a PA cab and lead acid battery up those hills!

If you spend any money, spend it on a good amp (class D with SMPS) as it will make your batteries last longer (efficiency, see) which means fewer of them and less weight. Everything in mobile (bicycle) soundsystems comes down to weight as the limiting factor, so plan and build light. Pay a premium for efficient drivers if you can: Super compact and light neodymium speakers and lightweight li-ion batteries can follow when you win the Premium Bonds...

I assume you've linked up with Critical Mass? Don't know what the scenes like there, but there's a nice selection of rigs in London.

Edited by I-shen Soundboy - 03 April 2017 at 11:10pm
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2017 at 12:08am
Enlist a fellow cyclist double your payload.. :)
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Ganon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ganon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2017 at 7:30am
The Pioneer GM-D8604 is a cheap and good class D amp, there are many here in DK that use the Pioneer for Roskilde festival.
so if we are going for a 2.1 setup, Stereo and Bridge, we are looking at a 4-5 A draw.
So 5 A for 6 hours 5*6=30, then lets say the battery takes 20% discharge. 30*1,2=35.
So i will say a battery in the 40-50 AH size if you only pulling sound on it.

Alternative amps can be. Bassface 4.2 or a module from sure electronics (need step-up converter).

Edited by Ganon - 04 April 2017 at 7:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply