Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pro light & Sound @ Messe, 2017.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 4:09pm
I didn't think it sounded bad at all especially on the Friday, and in comparison to almost every other rig. Not sure when the video was taken and of course, its a phone, but I think it sounds pretty good on a bunch of whatever those tunes are in it.

Last year definitely sounded better with the SH96HO setup to be fair but that's not a fault of the box, and yes valid point but frankly, as I've said in the past - I don't think I've ever been to a demo by a manufacturer that has impressed me, only when I've had the boxes in my own hands or of somebody I know and trust have I truly been able to judge something. That goes for 'big boys' too…

Edited by toastyghost - 17 April 2017 at 4:12pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 4:13pm
Agree. And i told them to do something about it. Even wrote to Ivan after the first day.
I listened it of Friday too, wasn't much different.
I am not bashing the boxes, i know they can be bloody brilliant. Just that fact that wrong people are presenting them to the public.
I dont consider my self (or you) as a normal show visitor. But the common people are usually the loudest mouths. A was carefully listening the comments among the crowd. Not a single expression of amusement. Very average sounding huge boxes. That is the conclusion. Which is a shame really.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 4:24pm
Well we shall see if they do a demo again and what can be done differently - I'll chat to you in private about some of it sometime cos thats the fairest way really.

I did however hear a fair few positive comments and the feedback from people visiting the stand was good so horses and courses.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 7:26pm

Is it your phone why it sounds as if there is nothing above 5 kHz with a high dose of 2 kHz? Confused

That pipe organ sounds very dominant. LOL

Best Regards, 

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Mobile phone video of the Danley Jericho demo, tunes are a bit odd but you can get an idea of how stupidly consistent the coverage is and how much noise behind/onstage is reduced by using them instead of a line array.

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 17 April 2017 at 7:31pm
Elliot Thompson
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 8:05pm
Not my phone. It does say it's a pretty cheap model Moto G3 but I don't know mic specs or how the video was processed

Can gladly share independent measurements of the cab, there's certainly no shortage of HF.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 4:10pm

I am familiar with the majority of Danley's bass cabinets however, never had the opportunity to literally hear Danley's top boxes. So I was curious if the emphasis on the high mids were so pronounced on such a design.

In terms of music selection, if you viewed all of Danely’s demonstrations on youtube, they tend to steer towards that early - mid 1980's music you would hear in movies, a cover band, or Steely Dan. So the music selection played at Meese 2017 is pretty much the same type of music they use to demonstrate their cabinets in the States.

It is usually someone outside the Danley camp that presents the rep more up to date music in order to hear how well Danley boxes will perform under the given circumstances.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 6:19pm
What has already been said is all right, KV2 audio wasn't mentioned though and I think they stood out as much as the above mentioned.
I wasn't impressed by their 4x21" a side which sounded a bit muddy, but the top boxes were amazing although not the most balanced.

Danley was a bit of a disappointment, as Kyle said the coverage from the tops is excellent but there was no balance at all. Highs were too subtle, mid-highs were also a bit too subtle, mids were okay and mid bass was lacking. Subs failed to impress, there was so much cancellation at the sides that some spots didn't have any bass at all. I didn't expect this kind of issues from boxes that have EASE data available.
Benefits of the tops could be heard, but I was definitely feeling disconnected from the music/tracks/mix/whatever. I "wonder" if it's worth to showcase a system with this kind of technical issues from the distributor.

RCF, as mentioned earlier in this thread, pushed their system way over the limit which everyone else was keeping and it didn't sound that clean to me. The timing was horrible, it did deliver SPL-wise but definitely not a system that I would listen to all day long.
The fact they were also further away from the measurement mic kind of tilted me as well, kind of hard to tell the difference between systems when you're 10-20dB louder at all times.
DB technologies was much cleaner in my opinion, although they also were above the limit.

TW-Audio impressed me with their little two boxes a side + 18" combination, however when they moved to their line array + 21" it wasn't any good.

Axiom/Proel had an impressive output from their 12" subs, the column array wasn't all that good though.

Funktion-One was the best overall in my opinion, bass was huge and clean. The 132's were incredibly precise for such huge drivers, they probably made some improvements with help from Powersoft since the debut of said boxes.
Tops were crystal clear, although as Marjan mentioned they were a bit too aggressive on the mids and the coverage was a bit dull. Nothing that ruined the demo though.
It was probably the only system, besides KV2 and TW-Audio small boxes, which had neutral transient response, spot on timing and added the least possible colour to the source material.
I have a video of their full demo, recorded with an iphone 7 so not the best recording tool at all but still a reasonable quality. I will upload it to youtube and post it asap.
Edit: they made some changes during the days and the best result was achieved the third day, first few days the bass was causing waaay too many vibrations.

I also exchanged a few words Turbo Tony, funnily enough he would agree with literally everything in this post. LOL

Edit2: There also was a Nexo STM rig which sounded bloody great, the dual 15" subs have such an amazing directivity and transient response it put most of the 21" in the live sound arena to shame. The rig was set up for the Musicmesse and was a separate stage which most of you probably missed.

Edited by Darkstar - 18 April 2017 at 6:37pm
Bass =/= Enough
Racks&Stacks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 1:28pm
I took the video on the first day.  It is from a motorola moto g3  Nothing more, nothing less.  My goal was to show pattern control behind the boxes and how well the tops held up over distance.  With a better camera and mic setup, I have some footage from the next days, including more appropriate music, which I hope to cut into something useful.  Most of the footage I took was with auto-gain on, so I'm not sure how accurate the audio is, and then a friend (swedish distributor) took some mainly standing in one place.  I'll try to finish it next week.

Edited by Racks&Stacks - 19 April 2017 at 1:41pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

I am familiar with the majority of Danley's bass cabinets however, never had the opportunity to literally hear Danley's top boxes. So I was curious if the emphasis on the high mids were so pronounced on such a design.

In terms of music selection, if you viewed all of Danely’s demonstrations on youtube, they tend to steer towards that early - mid 1980's music you would hear in movies, a cover band, or Steely Dan. So the music selection played at Meese 2017 is pretty much the same type of music they use to demonstrate their cabinets in the States.

It is usually someone outside the Danley camp that presents the rep more up to date music in order to hear how well Danley boxes will perform under the given circumstances.

Best Regards,

Barring a few german pop songs, it seemed like a lot of the music being played from the various manufacturers was the same.  I forget the titles, but that female vocal with ever present "my love" and male "thanks to you" or something like that was on repeat.  For better or worse, there were some very well made recordings in the 80s

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 1:37pm
I thought the f1 tops sounded like an 80s rock rig.  The subs flapped my pants a bit, but I was seriously underwhelmed by what was hanging.

Harmonic Designs was the surprise standout for me, but their single box demo sounded much better than their dual.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 1:49pm
Those HD single Hang boxes were very impressive.

Edited by Shortrope - 19 April 2017 at 1:49pm
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Racks&Stacks Racks&Stacks wrote:

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Best Regards,

Barring a few german pop songs, it seemed like a lot of the music being played from the various manufacturers was the same.  I forget the titles, but that female vocal with ever present "my love" and male "thanks to you" or something like that was on repeat.  For better or worse, there were some very well made recordings in the 80s

The 80's did have some songs with excellent mastering. The same thing applies to the 1990's and 2000. One of the pitfalls of demonstrating a loudspeaker system at an event held in 2017 using music primarily from the 1980's is going be that disconnect as Darkstar mentioned.

Chances are if you can relate to 1980's music there is a great possibility you were alive when such music was current. However, for those who were not alive in the 1980's, they will not have an idea how to determine the quality of the loudspeaker system based upon hearing music before their existence.

Variety is the key. A little bit of old music, a little bit of current music in addition to, a little bit of new music will get the message across easier than focusing primarily on playing music nearly 40 years old.    

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>