Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sae pqm13

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodgroove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sae pqm13
    Posted: 06 April 2017 at 3:53pm
Hi any real world user info not opinions on the 4 channel Sae pqm13 amp , how does it sound on midtops or sub, any reliability issues ?
Thanks
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 5:19pm
I have one, I use to run kick and Subs on my TMS-4 system, it sounds solid, much more so than other similar looking amps, appears to well made and is happy running on Gensets.

I would say, I run my rig mainly for live music, not sat there near to clipping for DJ crap bouncing off the limiters.

I have heard if driven into clip they can cause havoc with the mains supply, but I haven't tried that game...
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 6:55pm
We have/had/installed quite a few pqms - no issues at all, even the 3 year old ones never missed a beat..
They do 4ohm bass/8ohm sub each channel but struggle any lower with low notes, running tops 2.66 is fine..
Cant fault them driving tops either although i personally like Matrix more on MHF tbh.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 8:53pm
Good groove they have been updated to a mk2, even better than before. New models will be in the uk in the next few weeks..

my view may be bias,

But ive spanked the ass off them from gensets to good and poor mains. Run a lorry full of em at nottinghill again last year. we even swopped another brand out for sae, as one of my teams amps just could not cut it vs the sae, he now has a full rack of em...

Edited by bee - 06 April 2017 at 8:55pm
https://www.elements-audio.com
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2017 at 9:07pm
I've run them on mid and kick but not on highs or subs. Excellent amps and for the money can't think of anything that'll beat them.
goodgroove View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodgroove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2017 at 2:08am
Thanks to all for input.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2017 at 12:30pm
happy with mine on bi-amped mid/high boxes. build quality seems good and looks relatively easy to work on and repair.
ReubGold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReubGold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2017 at 12:38pm
Would be good to see, how they cope on Reggae soundsystem, with pre-amp.
If he turns me into a zombie, first person I'm coming after is you.
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2017 at 5:14am
I use a PQM8 for midtops. 2x12" (Fane 12MB) + 1x BMS 4590, per side.

Before the PQM8 I have tried both Crest 8001 and Soundstandard CA18 on both the 12" and the co-ax on top, and sometime a Matrix XT800 on the coax.

I never did any direct comparisons but across various venues/nights impressions were:

- Crest 8001 coldest/darkest sounding on the BMS coax, lacking in very high frequencies
- Crest 8001 not enough headroom on the mids but good sounding 
- Matrix XT800 best sounding on coax tops but not enough headroom (one XT800 bridged per 4590 would be a winner)
- SS CA18 best on mids, loads of headroom, decent sounding
- PQM8 second best sound on coax, a bit harsher but I have since EQ'd the coax comps for the horn they are using so next outing will be interesting to hear the difference
- PQM8 perfect amount of power/headroom for BMS coax
- PQM8 Good sounding on mids, not as much headroom/clean power as SS CA18 but better transients.

Have not run PQM8 on subs yet. not had it too long. 

midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2017 at 1:43pm
Have you thought about pkn. Lovely sound to my ears for not too dissimilar money.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2017 at 7:48pm
know a venue that ran/run 4x 4590s off a pqm8 since 3 years quite happily.. matrix xt6004 would sound better tough imho :)

still rate the xt800s quite high too on MHF..

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 12:52am
Personally, I would love to hear a PKN but as not pro companies use them and they have no Pro dealer network in the UK, I can't.

I can go to LMC or similar and get demo kit, but PKN have no presence in the UK.

Gut thoughts, 1U is a massive mechanical liability, the  3 phase connector is a joke, but as I have never heard a bad word about the sound I would like to try one.

The PQM13 rocks and Bee has a real "Pro" user thing going on, whilst I see PKN probably can't afford Bee on-line, they need to appoint a Uk pro dealer and equip them with demo stock.

Given support and market penetration, SAE all day.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>