Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scoop Issue (Plays deep but doesn't hit hard)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flinnt45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 9:24am
Hi Mint
Driver with a big vas is required, good low resonance , reasonable qts
RCF l8x400 might suit, you could experiment with the baffle behind the driver, superimpose another on to it, slightly loose around its perimeter so that you can move it, couple of mm should do and move it down by degree,s to reduce the throat size, reduce to 150mm then 125 mm etc this should affect the spl in the desired manner
JAH Kreator Hi Fi
MINTEVENTRESOURCES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by flinnt45 flinnt45 wrote:

Hi Mint
Driver with a big vas is required, good low resonance , reasonable qts
RCF l8x400 might suit, you could experiment with the baffle behind the driver, superimpose another on to it, slightly loose around its perimeter so that you can move it, couple of mm should do and move it down by degree,s to reduce the throat size, reduce to 150mm then 125 mm etc this should affect the spl in the desired manner

Hello Flinnt45,

Thanks! To confirm the driver you are referring to is the RCF LF18X400? Next adding the baffle behind the first baffle is understood. At the point of moving the baffle down a degree is where you lost me. Are we still discussing the first baffle or now speaking about the second baffle? Please advise, thanks.
Mint Event Resources
flinnt45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flinnt45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 6:11pm
Yes Driver confirmed, the baffle in question is the one BEHIND the driver BEHIND the magnet it has the slot at the bottom, which forms the throat, another driver to consider and easily obtainable for you is EVX180B large vas, low qts, reasonable low frequency response, but you will electronically restrict its response to around 35hz so should be ok

Best.....Ian
JAH Kreator Hi Fi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 9:25pm
Thanks,

I have panels to insert on the rear baffle which will close the chamber and I will adjust and close the throat to the desired opening somewhere around 4.9 inches. I also have the EV 180 in our warehouse so I will be giving it a shot. I will update everyone!
Mint Event Resources

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 4:52pm
Hello All, 

I was able to add 1 inch thickness to the second baffle and close the throat to about 4.5inches or 114.3mm. Making the depth behind the speaker smaller. This increased the SPL. I will add a few braces in the chamber to secure all added pieces of wood. Lastly, I will continue to give other speakers a shot until I find even better performance. As always I will keep everyone updated and send pictures once I have completed everything. 
Mint Event Resources
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456