Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scoop Issue (Plays deep but doesn't hit hard)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 5:03pm
looking at pic, ill second the throat section being way to big. can you fit a panal in there, re put a dog leg back in...
https://www.elements-audio.com
MINTEVENTRESOURCES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 6:26pm
A panel might fit depending on the driver. Which I may change if the Eighteen Sound 9601 is the best solution. I can make a dog leg that extends the baffle but may have to wrap around the rear baffle a bit. Or make a traditional dog leg and call it a day. What do you suggest the baffle be in order to appropriately lessen the size of the throat?
Mint Event Resources
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 10:05pm
First thing that comes to my mind thats just not a place for handles in a scoop. Some loss of spl there for sure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Sypa Sypa wrote:

First thing that comes to my mind thats just not a place for handles in a scoop. Some loss of spl there for sure.

Before and after test conducted no loss of SPL.
Mint Event Resources
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 8:23am
Originally posted by MINTEVENTRESOURCES MINTEVENTRESOURCES wrote:

. This design is similar to a super scoop without the dogleg, and braces behind the second and third baffle, as well as no brace in the mouth.

Maybe missing braces are a part of the problem?
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 10:13am
If a scoop isn't braced properly, some of the energy is lost
You can't polish a turd!
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 11:05am

Before and after test conducted no loss of SPL.

Fair enoughSmile

Also i think in general a lot of the dirty sound of scoops comes from them not being properly braced.

Edited by Sypa - 17 April 2017 at 11:07am
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 12:35pm

Pictures

You've asked for my opinion, so I'll give it.

Firstly, anyone who has done personal testing with different Scoops and drivers, as opposed to just sat at PC summing all day can tell you, Void V18-1000 sounds loudest in most Scoops, due to sensitivity.

Doesn't mean is best sounding,just means is loudest.

Been saying this for over 10 years, not gonna argue with people, whose opinion is not based on practical testing, who have never compared diff drivers in different Scoops.

Next, as I alluded to in my first post, that short Scoop, with minute horn mouth, & huge throat, is nothing like Superscoop, & I wouldn't waste my time with them.

Plenty free designs around, that fire with many different drivers.

Better to buy used 18" Eminence/Fane/real Superscoopers, & use recommended, known drivers to work in them.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 1:17pm
Lev,

Thanks for your feedback. I will consider give the Eighteen Sound 9601 a shot as a last effort to achieve more pressure. Overall, the box is far from horrible I merely wanted to find a way to increase the pressure. I shall update you with any findings.
Mint Event Resources
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 1:37pm
I see no one asked you what amp you using to power it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 2:12pm
Qsc Powerlight 6.0
Mint Event Resources
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 3:33pm

Qsc Powerlight 6.0

I Don't see 18NLW9601 excelling in that Scoop.

That would be waste of very expensive driver.

Sell the Scoops, buy decent used, & have choice of many driver's.

Edited by levyte357- - 17 April 2017 at 3:34pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>