Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what amp for bms4554

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikkolas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what amp for bms4554
    Posted: 12 April 2017 at 6:33pm
hi all....im curently powering my 2 bms4554 with a t.amp600 and im not really satisfied with the sound quality of this amp. any suggestions on whats a more suitable amp for these drivers? 
thanks!
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 7:01pm
Matrix XT800
You can't polish a turd!
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:04pm
something class AB , nice matrix or mc2 if you can afford one
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:13pm
PKN XD XE2500, 5002 with 500KS/s sample rate,
LC4004U with 250KS/s sample rate
All can be loaded with 2R (or less..) per channel, we are doing it ALL line arrays on high-mids.
Sounds better, cleaner than most of class-AB analog amp + lot more dynamics//headroom!
Just check understandibility of human speech, voices on large SPL...

PS.: do not forget to set EQs to 0dB, these needs lot less correction (usually)

Edited by U.Viktor - 12 April 2017 at 8:15pm
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:34pm
I forget to say: Be very careful to mixing amps per active channel. Better to use same type of amplifier on every channel in the system.
There are very different phase vs. power vs. frequency characteristics of amplifiers which may not correctable even with the best LMS!
I just wanted to avoid ending up with in-coherent phase response ruining sound quality & pulse response.
Nikkolas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikkolas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:47pm
thanks for the inputs here guys....matrix and pkn are top notch amps no question about that.
wish i could afford one of the above mentioned models, but realistically are a bit out of my wallet size :) the only amp i could find so far that suits my budget is the ART SLA-2 amp. any words on this amp? 
Nikkolas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikkolas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:52pm

Edited by Nikkolas - 12 April 2017 at 8:54pm
Nikkolas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikkolas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

I forget to say: Be very careful to mixing amps per active channel. Better to use same type of amplifier on every channel in the system.
There are very different phase vs. power vs. frequency characteristics of amplifiers which may not correctable even with the best LMS!
I just wanted to avoid ending up with in-coherent phase response ruining sound quality & pulse response.

interesting....so running the same amp brand on all the system and just change the model of the amp is the best way to go huh? 
but when budget and location come into place things change i guess. 
so far im trying to mix and match amps in a way that it makes sense to me. from the little i know so far, im trying to use only torroidal amps for now. so im using only torroidals (prolines on bass, c audio on mids and tamp on tops) and have a powersoft digam as a spare amp in the rack for that emergency situation. 
does it make sense or i got it all wrong? :) 
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 8:30am
Having one make of amp does have some advantages but realistically you use what you've got ,sh matrix can be had quite cheap if you don't need big power ,I have some scuffy 2u 600 on ebay at the moment so can be done ,pkn sound very nice but not cheap ,mc2 or lab or Chevin can be had but tent to be dearer depends on budget really
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
m0gsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m0gsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 1:32pm
What's your budget?
Nikkolas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikkolas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 1:44pm
300-400eu max
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 2:10pm
What sort of choice of amps do you have available in Cyprus? Have you tried borrowing other amps to test? It may not be your present amp, but some other issue, eg crossover or cabling. Worth checking that before buying anything else.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>