Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xtro flare redevelopement thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xtro flare redevelopement thread
    Posted: 15 April 2017 at 1:35pm
So far I have the shape of horn as stl(in the link).

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5y23T8xURtGNmZwVlRsM3pmeXM?usp=sharing

Still need to work on phase plug.
I need help in measuring the speaker as on the images: Every 3 cm is good enough.

Have fun. Feel free to check for mistakes. So far I know there is missing 1.8cm length in simulation on size of plywood in front of driver.

Edited by gen0me - 15 April 2017 at 1:47pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 9:55pm
Anyone has b&c 8pe21 to show or measure? In England?
Actually it should be enough to measure how far is the dustcap from front.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 12:05am
i have some. i'll check tomorrow if no one else has.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 2:34am
What are you trying to achieve with the horn design? The sims you've done show a very wide dispersion and a change of 35 degrees in half an octave lower is quite sudden.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 3:33am
:) I have no goal tbh. Just something that will fit exactly Xtro, may be more universal.
Arent those frequencies where every horn gets directional?
So is it good approach?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 12:33pm
Not a well designed one, no. A good speaker has consistent pattern control to at least 800-1k, ideally lower. Otherwise half your vocal is immediately subject to reflections or comb filtering.

You would likely do better to decide your design goals and build to that. It would also help to have directivity plots of the HF and LF sections to ensure a smooth transition.

I know of one builders' three way horn loaded cabinet that has HF exactly 60 but the mid horn starts at 90 and ends up at 160 by 400hz, and it's horrendous in multiples.

Edited by toastyghost - 22 April 2017 at 12:34pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 11:34pm

Here is the original one from https://freespeakerplans.com/forum/38-hosted-plans/5431-x-tro
I see the problem. Conical horn seems to control dispersion better(smaller difrences in frequency change).
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 1:51pm
Im a little confused. So what directivity should I expect? Like for http://beyma.com/getpdf.php?pid=TD245. Around 70 x 70 around 2-3khz. For http://www.bcspeakers.com/products/horn/1-0/0/me45 55x45 around 2-3khz. Whats the most popular hf horn than?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 10:01pm
The XT8 is very hot on-axis above 1kHz, most likely due to the directivity at that frequency being determined by the initial expansion from the throat.

The original Xtro flare, being conical is actually much better in that respect.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 10:42pm
Do you have any directivity characteristics? Basicly any info really appreciated. Im fighting here with abec http://forum.speakerplans.com/abec-problems_topic98514.html
I started even cooling processor with ventilator. Got so hot
Im wondering xt8 was designed by try and makes methods or invented in some software? Or made partly as rough idea in hornresp and than perfected?

Wider openning at the begging may be due to extending top of bandwidth around 2.2k. As I was simulating with hornresp I could go higher with Sentry around 170cm2 than 100cm2

Edited by gen0me - 14 May 2017 at 10:51pm
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:44pm
so a ce horn type thing [ie conical with the phase plug effectively makeing the first section exponential for loading reasons] might be an idea here then?
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

Do you have any directivity characteristics? Basicly any info really appreciated. Im fighting here with abec http://forum.speakerplans.com/abec-problems_topic98514.html
I started even cooling processor with ventilator. Got so hot
Im wondering xt8 was designed by try and makes methods or invented in some software? Or made partly as rough idea in hornresp and than perfected?

Wider openning at the begging may be due to extending top of bandwidth around 2.2k. As I was simulating with hornresp I could go higher with Sentry around 170cm2 than 100cm2

I suspect there was a fair amount of guesswork and no simulation.

I would concentrate on getting the dispersion right, frequency response is easier to fix with EQ...

The original straight Xtro flare, plus phase plug as Markk says would be a reasonable starting point.

When I was thinking about doing something similar, I wanted to try a Quatratic Throat Waveguide:

Edited by ceharden - 23 May 2017 at 9:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>