Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Back to the drawing board

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back to the drawing board
    Posted: 17 April 2017 at 5:01pm
So... having randomly purchased a load of speakers I now realise that... it wasnt the brightest of ideas that Ive ever had, though it did seem like it at the time (and of course I do like a good 'bargain')
Having recently returned to DJing after a 17 year lay off, Ive started to run some 90sClubClassic nights (currently as charity nights helping to raise funds for the other halfs daughter, but with the intention of actually making a return for myself once the charity piece has finished). I will also be doing a few 'private' gigs for anyone who is looking for a 90s based disco.
Current venue holds 250 people and I want to re-create a club experience.
Looking for ideas for something I can 'grow' current thoughts are THAM15 + tops, im never going to be at festival level but a few people have mentioned doing a large marque event (thats far for confirmed at the minute though)
Current set up is as follows
x4 Ohm RW3
x2 JBL SF25
x2 EV GSS15XR
x2 Dare DC600
Im thinking of keeping 1 set of RW3s for small gigs (up on speaker stands), keep the JBLs for gigs where the RW3s arent enough, but I dont need bass bins, then use the current drivers out of the DC600s for use in THAM15s in conjunction with the SF25s as tops/mids.
This way I have all bases covered and have something I can build from (another set of THAM15s and get a 'decent' mid/top)
Amp wise, I have x2 APB2700 and 1 APB2100 (from the CPC sale) so that should cover my immediate needs, well apart from them not being a 'named' brand of amp, but horses for courses and of course the VSX26 as speaker management

Am I heading in the right direction, is there something more suitable for bass (Cubo?) and any recommendations for mid/tops looking for something that can go from a small village hall to something with headroom for lets say 500 (not an immediate goal, but something to aim for)
I think Ive seen the light, no more impulse purchasing and follow a plan 
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 9:58pm
The more I think about it the more im drawn to getting SouthwestCNC to build me a couple of cabs (as from what Ive seen the woodwork is awesome), use these in place of the DC600s (will sell them unloaded) then when Ive got a few more funds, get 2 more made).
This gives me a 'compact' system with a bit of kick (and is reasonably easy to store) then I can work out what to do with mids/tops Smile
Now to step away from all the selling sites that I visit many times a day, as they are a bad influence on me LOL
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 11:39pm
Are the drivers from the dc600 suitable for a tapped horn?
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 10:58pm
So the drivers are 15G450N, though im now running around in circles between the THAM15 and BC Sub 18.
More tempted by the BC solution, 4 BC subs, pair of 12" tops and I believe that will do me
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 10:32pm
Ever feel your totally out of your depth with this?
Now considering a Cubo solution though still have the B&C BR and Thamm kicking around in my head.
Still gutted I missed out on a complete BR system about a week back Ouch
And going between pro build and putting something together myself, have done a little wood work back in my days of aircraft engineering.
Need a system I can easily chop and change depending on venue size, but is also single lift and hopefully fits in a couple of cars
charlynch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 11:32pm
4 single 18 reflex and a pair of half decent 12+1
 Post Reply Post Reply