Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adobe Illustrator -Quadro SLI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adobe Illustrator -Quadro SLI
    Posted: 18 April 2017 at 2:58pm
I have an issue with Adobe illustrator, I have HP Z620s with Quadro K4200s in that run 3Ds Max fine but illustrator is a joke.

I have just ordered 4 P6000 (Ouch!) boards which leaves me with 4 K4200s, now I can add another K4200 to the remaining workstations in SLI.

Has anyone actually seen any benefit from an SLI rig with Adobe Illustrator or will it use just on GPU like Prem only use 20 core of CPU??

Please don't suggest gaming cards, we need Quadro for the Autodesk product which has no certified driver for 1080 etc...

Smile

empiresoundsystem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote empiresoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2017 at 5:48am
Are you using CC? I had to roll back to CC 2014 due to bugs galore, and turn off updates from the cloud. Adobe is riddled with them by default, so it's probably not even your machine. 
I've got that fed up before now that I've even considered defecting to a Corel package... 
Can you not use Fireworks/PS/ID as a get by, or do you need the toolset of AI?
Failed DJ and fumbling through the world of pro audio. Give me a thumb and make me feel better:
www.facebook.com/empireAVWorks
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2017 at 7:31am
Illustrator is boolean maths so it's very much CPU focused. Beyond rendering the interface I don't think it even touches the GPU let alone supports SLI.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2017 at 5:31pm
Unfortunately the company that has the machines are committed to the whole CC thing as their clients use those formats.

Adobe seem to think computers have a single 40GHz core and right their code accordingly, the machine in question has 16 2.6Ghz cores (32 threads) and illustrator seems to use about 4 threads......

I tried the SLI thing and if anything  it seemed a bit slower, with GPU load never going above 46%, as with a single card.

Bearing in mind Adobe have only just fixed a HUGE memory leak in AI with Nvidia drivers (which is funny as you need CUDA for parts of the CC suite) I am wondering has the memory leak patch screwed the GPU access.

If anyone want a deal on some K4200 boards shout, we are moving to P5000 which seem to work without the killer cost of the P6000....

Tnx for your input guys...
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2017 at 7:41pm
How many of my kids would I need to sell for a K4200?
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 12:03am
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122455387839?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

less 10%, they aren't mine, but I can def sell you one for 10% less than the final price on this auction as they will loose that to ebay...

:-)

S
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 12:27am
I'll keep an eye on how much it sells for.  I don't really need one but it's tempting....  Running a little K600 at the moment and for the small amount of graphics work I do, it's ok.  Got a K2000 in my PC at work.
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 3:54pm
Cant see why you'd really need one for autodesk products. I have created assemblies with 20 or so complicated bins in a single assembly perfectly in inventor with a 750ti & cant seem to get any graphics lag even up max and detail level up around 8-9 (haven't managed to get more than that). The i7 does most of the work (well one core).

Edit.. maybe large architectural stuff it might struggle. But for non architectural a quadro wont make any difference to a £100 gaming card.

250 hogs, No problem.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 26 April 2017 at 4:22pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 4:41pm
Id personally spend a bit more if you think you need it and get a gtx 1080i, Well outperforms the k6000

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 26 April 2017 at 5:05pm
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

Id personally spend a bit more if you think you need it and get a gtx 1080i, Well outperforms the k6000

I see you point but Quadro is Autodesk Ceritifed, which is a HUGE issue for companies, they have decent render farm for the Graphs get is really just used for Viewport acceleration, 3dsMax appears happy @ 2 x 4K on a K4200, Illustrator has caused all the greif.

The Kepler k6000 isn't a good choice, even a Maxwell M5000 will beat that, we have gone P5000 for 6 machines and P6000 for the 2 that do all the After Effects stuff, but now watch folder rendering is back we are deploying AE across the render farm, in real terms, a 1024 Thread farm won't be as fast as a couple of Tesla boards but it does offload from the workstation....

TBH the whole Adobe suite needs a re-write from the top down, forget OsX, apple no longer make workstations so Pros now use HP Z series, I am sure the Memory leak with Nvidia driver was born from OsX considerations.

For what Adobe are charging they need to up their game quite a lot, you look at Autodesk and Maxon they seen to have code that can use hardware, Adobe seem to have code that could do with finishing off...

Smile

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 5:31pm
I doubt it, the driver architecture is massively different for macOS and Windows. They're entirely different software with different teams building them. Hell, the backend architecture isn't even the same, OpenGL for older machines / games, and Metal for the windowing system. Windows is pure DirectX.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

I see you point but Quadro is Autodesk Ceritifed, which is a HUGE issue for companies, they have decent render farm for the Graphs get is really just used for Viewport acceleration, 3dsMax appears happy @ 2 x 4K on a K4200, Illustrator has caused all the greif.

The Kepler k6000 isn't a good choice, even a Maxwell M5000 will beat that, we have gone P5000 for 6 machines and P6000 for the 2 that do all the After Effects stuff, but now watch folder rendering is back we are deploying AE across the render farm, in real terms, a 1024 Thread farm won't be as fast as a couple of Tesla boards but it does offload from the workstation....

TBH the whole Adobe suite needs a re-write from the top down, forget OsX, apple no longer make workstations so Pros now use HP Z series, I am sure the Memory leak with Nvidia driver was born from OsX considerations.

For what Adobe are charging they need to up their game quite a lot, you look at Autodesk and Maxon they seen to have code that can use hardware, Adobe seem to have code that could do with finishing off...

Smile

Had quite a few conversations on this before I upgraded my cpu/mb as I almost laid down a grand on a quadro. Youre right companies that have excess funds that benefit from the tax they can offset against them, they make sense in that respect. But speaking with my autodesk rep, who even admitted it was pointless for what I was using it for cad/cam for mostly small assemblies in comparison to say an oil rig or such structure. They do benefit from error checking compared with a gaming card and used to have larger vram cache's but with the newer gtx's that's not the case against most of the quadro range. and bar the p5000-6000 the gtx will give you a faster framerate. So for cad unless you really need to say, I need what im viewing to be accurate to hundred decimal places, there is no need for the added expense.

Most reviews on the k series will tell you this.

Unless your into animation of course (you mentioned after effects, that's one bit of software that I would agree is very gpu heavy and progs like maya) then the p5000-6000 may be the way to go but a k series now would be a poor choice imo as very outdated for the money. Think the 4000 has the same chip as the gtx 900.

What instead was recommended was to update my cpu which made a huge difference and a much better use of the money. And of course an ssd.

Edit.. sorry rambling, am in the market to upgrade myself and possibly looking for validation but pretty certain its going to be a 1080. As just cant justify the expense on a p5000 in the slightest as the gtx is supported by autodesk products anyway.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 26 April 2017 at 8:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>