FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking For Desk Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking For Desk Recommendations
    Posted: 20 April 2017 at 2:47pm
hi
i looked at the signature series little mixers too, some nice features packed but not very upgradable!
you have effects, two super simple compressors and parametric mids on stereo pairs which is nice but
-no inserts on input means no right way to use real external compressors or similar effects
-no insert on main out (or bus out or aux out) so can't insert eq or master compressor or whatever without having it in line and having to constantly fiddle with volume
-no direct outs, a feature i like to use to pass effects through channel strips.
-only one main output plus headphones, no analog alternative out or monitor out or mono out or rec out
-no master balance options (just one single stereo fader)

if you don't need groups take a look at allen and Heath zed14. i'd go with the non fx version to get one more aux channel but it's up to you. monitor out is on rca sadly but inserts on mono channels and main out. and i've touched both, the a&h feels way better built than the soundcraft  on this particular products.

By the way before buying go through the manual and block diagram. i gave for granted that stereo jack inputs were balanced, but in fact on most small consoles they are unbalanced and sometimes you can upgrade them to balanced. 

or if you are ready to jump digital there's a berry xr12 for you with all the magic and more. download the app and have a play... but for serving the djs at small level where you don't need a ton of outboard i value more having an analog board with faders i can hang on quickly than the infinite possibilities of digital  - of course for mixing bands i love x32 capabilities. 
 i went the crest x20r route in the end but it's an higher level of board and price.

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 2:13pm
The original Ghost series still finds a lot of use in studios because it has a certain sound when overdriven. Similar to Midas' pres but different sound.

It will better than what's in an EPM/EFX yes. But we had this question the other day frankly you're going to want outboard before long and you've already spend X Air or similar type of unit money. Just get a digital unit now it's more future proof a better use of your money and if you're new to mixing stuff the presets in there will probably be useful to get you started.

Edited by toastyghost - 20 April 2017 at 2:14pm
Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 2:02pm
Is the ghost preamp any better? Should I be looking at any other desks?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 1:40pm
Massively different preamp
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Biggus Biggus wrote:

Originally posted by Risc_Terilia Risc_Terilia wrote:

its only a extra £20 over the standard signature 12 desk - thought for the price might be a useful feature to have for recording.. not essential but at that price point I can't say no.

Well that's how they've priced them yes but realistically £309 for that mixer is above the rest of the market - example https://www.studiospares.com/Studio-Gear/Mixers-Analogue/Soundcraft-EPM12-Mixer_267680.htm

The non-MTK users are going to be subsidising the MTK ones.  

Whats the difference between EPM vs Singature series apart from MTK DAC

Looks like different pres, have a google...
Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Risc_Terilia Risc_Terilia wrote:

its only a extra £20 over the standard signature 12 desk - thought for the price might be a useful feature to have for recording.. not essential but at that price point I can't say no.

Well that's how they've priced them yes but realistically £309 for that mixer is above the rest of the market - example https://www.studiospares.com/Studio-Gear/Mixers-Analogue/Soundcraft-EPM12-Mixer_267680.htm

Whats the difference between EPM vs Singature series apart from MTK DAC
Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Sinai Sound Sinai Sound wrote:

Devils advocate suggestion

Soundcraft ui16

Hi I looked at this but want to start simple before I move more hi tech
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 12:14pm
Devils advocate suggestion

Soundcraft ui16

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 12:01pm

Edited by Risc_Terilia - 20 April 2017 at 12:01pm
Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 11:54am
Another question... whats the difference between the soundcraft EPM and Signature desks. why would I go for one over the other?
Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 11:51am

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 11:45am

I generally cover DJ gigs so I take the output of the DJ mixer and plug it into the LMS and go from there.
Recently I've been starting to plug in the odd singer/acoustic act here and there etc so I'm on the lookout for a mixing desk. For now I would like to start small and simple as I'm no pro and want to build my experience before I move on to bigger desks with more bells and whistles.

I quite like the look of the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK
But my question is there anything else I should be looking at i.e Allen and Heath ZED60-10FX, Midas etc?

With that desk a lot of what you're paying for is the ability to send all channels to a DAW separately but that doesn't seem to be something that you'll be using?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>