Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DSP options - Sure Audio DSP?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DSP options - Sure Audio DSP?
    Posted: 20 April 2017 at 11:23am
Has anyone got any experience of this board?

http://store3.sure-electronics.com/adau1701-audio-digital-signal-processor-kernel-board

looks promising, but the spec sheet is a bit short on detail...

Looking for a solution for a 3 way micro system. MiniDSP seem way too expensive for what they are, the other option would be to convert an ultradrive or possibly a decent analogue crossover to DC operation, but the power draw might be a bit of an issue...

What are people doing on this front?

Cheers!
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 2:14pm
Well that is basically the FreeDSP on a smaller board. As such it should be pretty good. I managed to cock up soldering the main chip on my FreeDSP, so it's nice that this one comes pre-soldered. And only about £35 for DSP, programmer and breakout board - that's cheap!
I currently use an analogue crossover board from KMTech on eBay, which probably ended up costing about that much after I'd finished dicking about with them. Had to make up a power supply solution (Boost regulator to get 48v from battery for power amp, linear regulator to get +30v from +48v rail, virtual ground circuit using opamp to get +30/+15/0v rails, addition of coupling caps to keep DC out of power amp) and power-off thump reduction (local reservoir cap and diode). These little buggers would power directly from the batteries.
Of course the biggest benefit is probably the inclusion of dynamics processing ie a limiter. The Sure amp modules go into fault mode if there are more than a very few cycles of clipping at an output, so by yelling into a mic I can make my midtops cut out if I'm not careful, and you have to power cycle to get them back on. Limiter would sort that out.
I'm probably going to buy these.....Big smile
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
carlosdelondres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2017 at 3:08pm
Hmm, currently the website not letting me buy one. Waiting for a response from sales dept. 2 of these should fit the bill nicely...
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2017 at 12:15am
Interesting... just bought two JAB2 boards, and appears this DSP will plug straight in

Would like to see more details before purchasing - wonder how much effort it'd be to set up, as MiniDSP is pretty straightforward

Whoever buys first, be sure to report back
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 10:34am
There is a thread on Diyaudio with some details...doesn't look exactly plug-n-play ;)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/294423-new-sure-electronics-adau1701-module.html
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 10:09pm
Hrm... might just stick with MiniDSP
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2017 at 10:13pm
I just settled on a dcx run from an inverter... yeah there are some efficiency looses but never got around to hacking it for dc operation... there is a manual on the net for doing it.

mini dsp sucks.... needs windoze or mac for changing settings. have 2x8 one gathering dust in the drawer, dont fancy carrying a laptop with me to the gigs.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2017 at 3:27am
I would argue that if you set your DSP up right before the show the only thing you should need during is EQ - which is offered by many other tools.
Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 12:03am
so no one has got one yet? just about to put in an order for 2? interesting...

I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 1:11pm
Still figuring out how straightforward to get it working so not pulled the trigger yet. Sigma Studio is interesting, but a lot more sophisticated than anything I have used before. Just been working through some tutorials etc. to get to grips with it. Looks promising though. Found a useful intro to some of the concepts on the Powersoft website...

http://www.powersoft-audio.com/pt/downloads/documentacao/user-guides/software-1/419-sigmastudio-user-guide/file
Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 1:57pm
/\ good link

Thumbs Up
I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 8:03pm
Sigma studio is absolutely horrible.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>