Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Current Windows International Attack..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:32am
Nothing wrong with XP, if you had applied the security patches... There's the problem.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 12:07pm
the problem is due to the way the NHS uses file sharing across different networks, it shouldn't affect home computers
Kevin

North Staffordshire

nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Nothing wrong with XP, if you had applied the security patches... There's the problem.

Agreed BUT:  Up until 6 months ago MS had completely screwed up XP/Vista/7 updates.
It's well documented.

Example  http://www.infoworld.com/article/3086811/microsoft-windows/microsoft-releases-kb-3161647-kb-3161608-to-fix-slow-windows-7-update-scans.html

So as people were sick of 100% CPU they disabled them on XP. Why wouldn't they, they had been told that's it, no more? On 7 people researched as they were entitled to have the updates and eventually  Getting a free AV to run nicely on XP is also a sod and Defender no longer protects.

So yeah, if the updates were still on and working (fat chance) all good.
The caveat here has to be the systems admins who have all these XP machines on their domains. THEY should have been aware of the patch and tested it and then pushed it out, it's their job, one I wouldn't want that's for sure.

It's everything, not everythink!
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 1:17am
On a slight tangent it's just been on the news that there are indications that the attack came from North Korea.

If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 1:54am
TBH Iran have the best Cyber Attack forces in the world after the US fUcked with their systems, I suggest the Nth K thing is just to wind people up enough to support Trump going head to head in the worlds most dangerous cock wobbling contest.

There is quite a lot of crap on Facebook about this, in particular teams of crack IT professionals that reckon they can do a full XP > Migration for the whole NHS in a day full tested, what happened was un-fortunate, but AFAIA it did rely on a nicked key to give the virus free passage across the network, less publicised was IBM rolling out Vista in a multi million $ project and sending people home early to let them in-state XP.

ANY network has vulnerabilities ("Air-gaps" are proven to not exist) and the age of XP means exploits are more know, but how is to say W10 does have a massive code hole no-one has found yet.

As far as i am aware the NHS systems hit lost no real data as the cryto only ran on local files, not their core data, so once sorted business as usual.

One thing to take away for any user on any system....

BACK your stuff up!!!!!

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:44am
Yeah, all 100% on the nail.

How many places have I instigated offsite backups and they haven't done them or checked the drives even work/logs etc.  IT is an inconvenience to them round here, but it is North Devon :)

Vista: The 64 bit one was fine, lots of RAM, even the 32 was OK on 3gb, but selling machines with 1gb and low rent no cache hard drives didn't help it's cause. I know of one machine on Vista 4gb (3.4 vis) and a 240gb SSD. It's an early Core2 and it is a joy to use. Old lady just likes it, she's on Firefox and, "does her shopping" on it.
 Me. I'm waiting for the first iPad worm so we can have an end to BYOD ....Yin Yang
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:59am
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

Yeah, all 100% on the nail.

How many places have I instigated offsite backups and they haven't done them or checked the drives even work/logs etc.  IT is an inconvenience to them round here, but it is North Devon :)

Vista: The 64 bit one was fine, lots of RAM, even the 32 was OK on 3gb, but selling machines with 1gb and low rent no cache hard drives didn't help it's cause. I know of one machine on Vista 4gb (3.4 vis) and a 240gb SSD. It's an early Core2 and it is a joy to use. Old lady just likes it, she's on Firefox and, "does her shopping" on it.
 Me. I'm waiting for the first iPad worm so we can have an end to BYOD ....Yin Yang

I used Vista since the late betas back in 2006

But it was with a Core2Duo at 3.6ghz with 4GB of RAM and RAID 10,000RPM hard disks

Ran great!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:28am
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Agreed BUT:  Up until 6 months ago MS had completely screwed up XP/Vista/7 updates.
It's well documented.

Example  http://www.infoworld.com/article/3086811/microsoft-windows/microsoft-releases-kb-3161647-kb-3161608-to-fix-slow-windows-7-update-scans.html

So as people were sick of 100% CPU they disabled them on XP. Why wouldn't they, they had been told that's it, no more? On 7 people researched as they were entitled to have the updates and eventually  Getting a free AV to run nicely on XP is also a sod and Defender no longer protects.

So yeah, if the updates were still on and working (fat chance) all good.
The caveat here has to be the systems admins who have all these XP machines on their domains. THEY should have been aware of the patch and tested it and then pushed it out, it's their job, one I wouldn't want that's for sure.

All of that is pretty bad, and MS should be ashamed. I had to clear the update cache on one of my machines but in general haven't had any bother running 7 in the last year. I don't use totally automatic updates, every patch gets manually approved for dl and install. Even when they are working properly I find my machines doing things in the background that I did not ask them to very annoying.

But it doesn't absolve anyone from turning off automatic updates to save a bit of convenience! Do it manually if you must to keep the CPU clear for when you need it, change the priority of the task so it doesn't slow everything to a crawl etc. There are options.

It's keeping you in beer tokens though right!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 6:30pm
Down here I get called to slow iPads. Shut all the browser windows, teach them how to power off, not sleep, turn the router off and on, collect money, leave. Go back six months later because they can't remember what I told them even though they wrote it down.Beer
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:50pm
I've always thought there was a lot of potential cash in securing peoples networks to keep their kids off the more interesting corners of the internet. But I don't think I could take the customers.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:46pm
Yes! Although I should be grateful I'm losing the will. Might be time for a move?

Edited by nickyburnell - 17 May 2017 at 2:47pm
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 10:46am
The nice thing about IT is that you can just develop a few more skills and try to entice more business with them. Network security/setup, coding and development etc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12