Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What dedicated wifi router for dsp?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:41pm
Do you want an actual router, i.e. with a network switch several Ethernet ports for a few devices in the rack?

Or do you mean an Access Point, which wpuld just work for a single device?

Assuming the later, then ......

Originally posted by King George King George wrote:

A lot of PA companies use Ubiquiti bullet M5s with a 'donkey' antenna. 
Pico/nanostation is a good call if you don't have an arena to fill!

I have the titanium 2.4 gig unit for my desk, for ipad control, and it's great. small enough to keep in gig back with a compact antenna and the right cables, so always have it with me even when I'm freelancing, and it fits into a large mic clip (like for a wireless Handheld) so you don't need any weird brackets or anything, you can clip it into a mic stand and get it nice and high over peoples heads. 

But the whole ubiquiti range is great, including the bigger longer range/more powerful models. Takes a little getting your head round to set up, as kyle says it's proper networking so needs static IPs and things, but its what all the pro companies I've seen use for their networking of big arena and festival systems etc. 

K

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 18 May 2017 at 7:15am
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:08am
Oh
 how these threads crack me up.....

Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:37am
Thanks for the info lads.
I'm not very fluent on all the terms static ip, dhcp etc.. and what they mean, clarification would be welcome.
Currently I have an old domestic router connected to the dsp with a dedicated wifi connection to my laptop, so I'm presuming that would be referred to as a closed network?
I don't need a system for large venues, stadiums or multiple dsps.
For now anyways I just need to able to make remote changes to a single dsp so was hoping for something inexpensive and simple that can live in the amp rack.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:03am
hey

The antenna is always the issue, more than the device itself. 

what always happens with any of these things, be it desk or rack control, or some of the newer wireless mics and IEMs that are running over 2.4ghz, is that it works great at sound check when the venue is empty. However when 200 or 2000 people show up at the venue, all with their phones filling up the air with signal, it all goes to shit. So whatever device you get, make sure it has a decent external antenna that you can get up on a stand of come sort over people's heads. 

Ideally if the device is living in the rack, it should have a removable antenna or a connection for an external one, which you can link to a little patch panel on the front/back of your rack.

This means you can have a decent antenna up on a stand and just run a cable to your rack, connect it to the patch panel on the front which will feed it into the device, and you will have much better range and FAR less problems with signal loss etc. 

Just using the little antenna built onto a standard router, and having them sitting inside the rack both surrounded by metal cases and electronics of the other equipment, and at knee or at most waist height, will make it much harder to get a solid and reliable connection.

K
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12