Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bloom on TuffCab Castors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:54pm
for tour grade then as above for good budget solution then the Thomann castors are doing the job so far.
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:54pm
Adam hall just confirmed theirs cannot be taken anywhere near a seaside town either, Not immediately but upon questioning they believe theirs too will deteriorate quickly if there is salt in the air. (zinc coated)

So really to say your cabs will be fine anywhere you need galvanised by the sounds of it.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:58pm
Same story with penn elcom
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:59pm
You going to get that with any caster eventually, all built to a price these days. Container storage near the sea not going to help. As others, i would strip down and get local coater used to doing stuff for boats to plate or galvanise them, couple hundred um coverage.

You could also look at stainless ones, but price will be high, you want 304 as a min, prefferably 316...

Dupe...

Dupe...
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:03pm
Just had look for stainless, not as bad as i thought cost wise....

Dupe...
Dupe...
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:09pm
yeah eventually was a month in my case. Id have expected a little longer. A spray at the end of manufacture with a light oil would have prolonged it I'm sure. Just had a look at stainless, I'm seeing around £16 ea for 100mm. Quite a bit more. Did see an indian company doing galvanised tho.. will investigate.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:45pm
Shipping containers are pretty bad for this kind of thing. I used to store all my gear in one and all the hardware on my flight cases now look like that. You can get very high humidity levels with no airflow in a container. I suspect Adam Hall or Penn hardware might have slightly better coatings but ultimately will end up looking the same.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Shipping containers are pretty bad for this kind of thing. I used to store all my gear in one and all the hardware on my flight cases now look like that. You can get very high humidity levels with no airflow in a container. I suspect Adam Hall or Penn hardware might have slightly better coatings but ultimately will end up looking the same.

Not salt in the air? Its worse than I thought then. I don't believe it excuses the coating tho. I will have to make some calls to plating companies to see if they can be done better.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 17 May 2017 at 8:00pm
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:22pm
This sort of stuff frustrates the hell out of me. You say built to a price but the difference per unit to get them properly galvanised would be next to nothing.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:09pm
I agree Jon. I'd prefer them in bare steel. This being the case to get coated myself. My guess is I'm going to call a couple of British plating companies and their response will be "what" and then go on to tell me their zinc coatings are guaranteed etc etc. I've got some cheap trago mills castors that have been left out in the rain for months. Still shining. Will subject them to a month in the container. See how they fair.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 17 May 2017 at 9:17pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:14pm
No doubt going to cost more to get them coated as they will need to remove the coating that's on there.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:25pm
I ruined a pair of 1210's in a shipping container. In sealed flight cases that also went yuk.
I am 1 mile from the sea.
It's everything, not everythink!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>