Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - how to implement bi-amping wiring inside top cab
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how to implement bi-amping wiring inside top cab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to implement bi-amping wiring inside top cab
    Posted: 09 June 2017 at 10:22am
I have a hi/mid cab with built in passive crossover. I want to add a bi-amping input by adding another 4-pole speakon, wiring straight to the drivers. My question is, do i need to add a switch to disconnect the passive crossover when i bi-amp, or can i just leave it as it is?

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 11:14am
the switch is a bit of work. you need a 4pdt switch. do you want to do this permanently or do you want to be able to switch back? you could just remove or totally bypass the passive crossover by just wiring the drivers straight to the nl4.

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 11:41am
Hello cravings, thank you very much for the diagram! Should be doable. I have the components for a pair of compact tops lying around. Have to build cabs + buy an inuke 3k dsp. I could either run passive stereo, or active mono, and mayve get a second inuke for stereo biamp later if feasible.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 12:05pm
i found wiring the switch quite difficult. it'd be much easier to just run them biamped by disconnecting completely from the passive crossover. but up to you!
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

the switch is a bit of work. you need a 4pdt switch. do you want to do this permanently or do you want to be able to switch back? you could just remove or totally bypass the passive crossover by just wiring the drivers straight to the nl4.

I'm thinking of doing something like this but I need to make it tamper proof as I don't want to keep opening the cab to get at it I suppose that's down to the type of toggle switch. Craving could you explain what the 20uf cap is doing ie surge, smoothing,freq?

Cheers

Edited by djkeet - 25 June 2017 at 8:48pm
Soundbite
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 10:49pm
it's not my diagram, mine is much worse heh. but the cap is.. look up capacitor in series with compression drivers and there have been a bunch of threads on them. it's a protection for the comp driver.
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 1:50am
OK that makes sense then if its protection
Soundbite
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2017 at 10:50pm
hey guys, one more question……. The diagram that cravings posted makes clever use of two speakon sockets, enabling biamp and full range mode, both with the option of parallel output to a second cab…. what if I were to simply install three sockets: one with +/-1 going to the passive crossover input for full range operation, and two parallel wired sockets, which would have +/-1 going straight (or with a protection cap in series) to the HF, and +/-2 going to the woofer. 

I need the parallel output only for biamp mode.

Would having the passive crossover outputs connected to the drivers while bi-amping affect performance in any way? 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2017 at 11:20pm
yes it would. you need to switch the passive filters out.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2017 at 11:06pm
thanks again cravings….. Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply