Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Running switch mode amps (SAE) off a generator?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running switch mode amps (SAE) off a generator?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 11:13am
Double Post!!

Edited by APW - 24 June 2017 at 11:14am
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 12:33pm
Don't think I can get away with a 500w halogen other than outside, and it might get rained on there!

However, there are two incandescent chandeliers with 12 bulbs on each and four lights which are hexagonal (with 5 bulbs in each which have iecs going to them and this parr thing with 6 lights on it.
Chandeliers are running constantly and will surely total atleast 300w.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 1:25pm
Yep chandeliers have gotta be atleast 300w each more like 600w each so should be fine!
Got the 42w fan running for good measure 😂
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 1:45pm

Chandeliers used in marquees are normally attached to a dimmer of some description, and so don’t really constitute a constant load; most dimmers will only make the loading problems worse for the generator as they chop the mains waveform up when dimming, this can (will!) mess with the power factor and inject harmonic noise back into your supply.

I don’t want to appear rude, but you seem to know very little about running from Generators and the pitfalls, it’s all too easy for things to go wrong with your gear getting fried or someone getting hurt.

Are you aware of BS7909:2011? if not I would suggest you seek help from a professional who has experience in setting up temporary ‘Event ‘ electrical systems, that way if something happens the Sh*t doesn’t hit YOUR fan, it hits someone else’s!!

BTW: your 42W fan will make absolutely no difference at all, it’s far too small.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 2:20pm
You're right I have no clue at all.
That's why I specified a waterproof marquee and mains power supplied because that's all I know enough to use.
I arrive to find a professional marquee tipi professionally wired up with a 20kva diesel generator with AVR. What looks like 32a distros which step down to 13a sockets. Not my ideal scenario but what am I supposed to do?

I'll check on whether the chandeliers are on dimmer switches and if they are ill try to use my 500w halogen somewhere.
Amps running fine atm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 2:21pm
To clarify all I'm doing is running my rig... Not got anything to do with any other stuff
JTH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 2:30pm
If you have a 20KVA unit there with AVR, forget the extra 'regulation load', you just don't need it!
JTH Concerts & Live Events - Stage Hire, PA Hire
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 7:13pm

Edited by APW - 24 June 2017 at 7:16pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 8:30pm
Got a 500w halogen now so extra safe. Drying the grass out nicely lol.
Thanks everyone for the advice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 3:16pm
Just to finish this thread just got all the gear back to my lockup and it's all good.
Amp etc fine.
Interestingly the lights were dimming a bit when the bass was hitting hard!
I've had that happen in rooms on mains power thou so not surprising that it happened with a generator!
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2017 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by RiddimKid RiddimKid wrote:

Sorry for the hijack lol.

Bee is there any Sae PCM20 and PQM8 available at the moment?

Cheers

sadly no not at mo, I do have a demo pcm12 and a demo pqm8 available next week, plus some of the dj range 350 and 650 and a due this has built in lms, and a few of the lp26 lms units, also have a fair few of the xl900's all brand new but being sold off as (sold as seen) to clear stock (discontinued model)

More stock should be on route soon of the new pcm range and pqm range. 
https://www.elements-audio.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12