Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FreeDSP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FreeDSP
    Posted: 21 October 2014 at 10:18pm
Just spotted this by accident on Google:

http://www.freedsp.cc

Looks promising. One of the main distinctions from MiniDSP as far as I can tell is that it has a GPIO board, meaning settings (like crossover frequency, bass boost or EQ bands) can be linked to potentiometers and buttons.

Edited by Hemisphere - 21 October 2014 at 10:19pm
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2014 at 10:42pm
Very interesting!!
Thanks for the heads up.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2014 at 10:55pm
Definitely interesting, especially the open source bit
That can be a blessing or a curse, depending how clever you and other interested parties are

Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 1:24am
Last time I checked though a SigmaStudio license was around $250 though. That would be a stopping block if that is still the case.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 2:12am
Is that to get a license for commercial use or to use it at all? I can't find it for sale anywhere but it seems to be available for download here http://www.analog.com/en/dsp-software/ss_sigst_02/sw.html
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 2:17am
Well I reckon it could potentially drop the price of DSP modules quite a bit. It is actually possible to build one, yet they charge us hundreds or more than a thousand quids to get our hands on basical and cheap hardware. Maybe DIY will be the way to go in the future like it has been for many things in the audio industry.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 2:31am
It looks like it may well go that way. It just takes a handful of dedicated people to realise when an industry has more or less plateaued, refine the best stuff into a few really good quality designs and spread and document them far and wide. Most end users only really need so many bells and whistles from a DSP. Top end professionals will always demand the best even if it's not strictly needed for the application so the market will be there, but the future's bright for DIY. Companies like Analog Devices just want to sell as many chips as they possibly can - I think a lot is probably going to all the start-ups making iPod docks and similar mass market consumer products, that's driving the prices down and the support and documentation up.

Audio is also a great gateway into learning to design all kinds of other things that use the same sort of skills.

Edited by Hemisphere - 22 October 2014 at 2:34am
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Is that to get a license for commercial use or to use it at all?

That was to use it at all but as I said, they might have changed policy on that. It would certainly be very nice if they had because it's been a pain in the rear to custom program a DSP for the cAMP because of that policy.
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 7:49pm
i hope it works one day.
minidsp is nice, but control for it windows only (or maybe a mac too), no way to control it from a single board linux computer or a tablet. and they  stated on the forum that there is no way to change it :-(
 Post Reply Post Reply