Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Funny problem w powered JBL sub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (((THUMPER))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Funny problem w powered JBL sub
    Posted: 20 March 2010 at 1:31am

I have no idea what the idiots I let barrow them did but its my problem now. I own a set of JBL powered subs w complimenting passive subs. These speakers didn't have a real long production run n I think I'm learning why. They can be found here http://www.hoffmanmusic.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=51500050&eq=&Tp=

The internal channel on the powered sub in question is fine. However whenever I plug in a speaker and feed a signal that channel instantly flashes, then a split second later they're both going on like strobes. The passive drivers are both fine because I tested them on a good working amp. Its just the one 'jacked-up' channel. Does this mean they killed my amp? How do I determine what the problem is and what part to replace? Please phrase your replies in 8th grade level language Tongue 

THANX!

"...like a big paper dragon..."
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 1:47pm
Can you re-word your fault description? What is going on like strobes? What is a jacked-up channel?
Kevin

North Staffordshire

djshaney View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djshaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 1:49pm
i take it you mean the signal lights?
and jacked up = fucked
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 4:48pm
It just is.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 6:23pm
Just a thought, but have you checked the leads? Might have a short in one of them.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 7:33pm
If the passive cabs work and the active cab works on it's own and it only sh*ts it's pants when they are both connected together then it must be the leads unless by a very long shot the power supply is just about holding on with 1 speaker on it but can't bear 2, that's not likely though. Check your cables and then check them again.
   >Most failures in electronic systems are at connectors< 
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2010 at 12:58am
I believe these subs have two power amps - one for internal and one for the extension.  As mentioned above, it could be a shorted extension cable or a fault with the extension power amp.
 Post Reply Post Reply