Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Garrard sp25's disco driver 80

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollie80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garrard sp25's disco driver 80
    Posted: 02 January 2013 at 10:06am
Hi Chaps,

HAPPY NEW YEAR.  Smile

A question which ive been meaning to ask..  What was the difference between a Garrard SP25 and a Garrard SP25 disco driver 80?  Question

Im guessing they are both belt driven.  Was the platter / motor more beefier in the disco driver 80?  Im a right in saying the disco driver 80 is called an 80 because it was released 1979/80?

Thanks!  
Ollie K
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 11:06am
Martin will probually know the definative answer to this.

The earlier SP25 MK 3 was idler wheel driven. (rumble city!)

Both SP 25MK 4 and disco driver are belt driven.

SP25 MK4 had a semi-auto function (arm took itself of record and back to arm rest after track finished,and switched off turntable,really annoying function,which i used to "disable" by removing the toothed gear wheel under the platter).

Disco driver was completely manual.(no auto function) It also had a better arm if i remember.

Citronic CL300 is better than both in my opinion,much superior "S" arm.
Be seeing you.
ollie80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollie80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 11:25am
Hey JBL, thanks very much for reply.  

I used to have two SP25 mk4 built into a custom console.  One of the sp25s came from a dynatron music centre.. The other one was sourced from a single deck seperate.

haha yes the semi auto function, even at a young age I used to place the stylus manually on the record!  Clap 

So I guess Garrard entered the disco market propery with the disco driver 80
Ollie K
Mhamplification View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 4:17pm
Yes Ian I know the answer to this one having piles of them around at the moment

SP25 Mk 3  idler drive semi auto deck
SP25 MK 4  (IV) idler drive  semi auto
SP25 MK 5,6  were belt drive

On deck fitted into disco console all the semi auto was diasbled normally by removing a cogged wheel under the platter

the Disco driver was a purpose built deck for disco use   Built by Garrard after BSR got in there first with the horrible plastic ones
The Disco driver 80 came out in 1980  and was a stripped down version of the SP25 MK 6
No auto mechanism at all  no controls only speed  If you look at one the chassis is the same as a SP25  with plastic panels covering up the holes in the top panels
My favorite deck was the DD80  although the cartridge sliders were a problem especially in hot swetty venues The  DD80`s were labelled 36SB   underneath i think    The same turntable as a 35SB a more upmarket SP25

When I get 5 minutes I will do some pics of the difference between the SP25 mk 5,6 and Disco driver 80 /36SB
ollie80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollie80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 4:20pm
Hiya Martin!! Thanks so much for the answers you have given!!  Clap

Will love to see the pics too.  Thanks a billion 
Ollie K
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 4:22pm
Still reckon that the MII was the best built of the lot.
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
mostyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mostyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 6:36pm
agreed tony screw off head shell first decks i ever had dark green in colour
mostyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mostyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 6:38pm
used to strip sp25's levers linkages etc so they worked like dd's
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 10:24am
The Garrard part number fro the Disco driver is 126SB not 36sb as I put earlier
mostyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mostyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 10:30am
in fact i remember seeing some consoles of the time fitted with 126sb's,if i remember looked like a sp25 til you got closer then some subtle differences,the arm weight and a different silver t/table centre on the t/table mat,silly how some things stick in your mind
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 11:10am
Originally posted by mostyn mostyn wrote:

in fact i remember seeing some consoles of the time fitted with 126sb's,if i remember looked like a sp25 til you got closer then some subtle differences,the arm weight and a different silver t/table centre on the t/table mat,silly how some things stick in your mind

that would have been a 125Sb  they were very similar to the Sp25 mk 5  as you say the weight and the number near the start controls etc
Ive got some Garrard catalogs somewhere will scan them when I can find the old scanner and post them up
ollie80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollie80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Mhamplification Mhamplification wrote:

Originally posted by mostyn mostyn wrote:

that would have been a 125Sb  they were very similar to the Sp25 mk 5  as you say the weight and the number near the start controls etc
Ive got some Garrard catalogs somewhere will scan them when I can find the old scanner and post them up

Br great to see those catalogs!  It funny, whilst growing up all the turntables I was exposed to were Garrard SP25s!  My dads Dynatron music centre (MK4), my first FAL disco console (MKIIIs), and custom console MK4 from the Dynatron and another MK4 from a separtes deck
Ollie K
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>