Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY amps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antimony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY amps
    Posted: 22 May 2007 at 9:11pm
Has anyone made any of their own amps?
Are these high power ones we all like a different kettle of fish from the popular diy hi-fi kits/schematcs out there?
anyone want to share some schematics please?

jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 9:57pm
You can check out http://sound.westhost.com/project117.htm schemo on esp diy pages, for a 1.5Kw (into 8 ohms) power amp, with plentiful warnings on the dangers of approaching such a project and numerous statements to the effect that such power from any amplifier is completely uneccesary under any circumstances (lol)

Seriously though, isn't something to try out without a fair helping of knowledge on the subject and building experience. It's not  just about copying the schematic correctly, more to do with construction technique and set up/troubleshooting procedure.
If you do build one though, I'll have it off you for a bit of unbiased testing..

Edited by jethrocker - 22 May 2007 at 9:58pm
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 10:11pm
There isn't much point in building power amps for PA use unless you can get a really good deal on a lot of components and are very confident in your design abilities.

I would happily (and have) built them for home use, and with a bit of care and attention you can get a good spec built with not too much work involved.

As the power goes up then apart from the electronic considerations and design you have to really think about mechanical design too. Heatsinks, thermal resistance, fans, cooling in general, impedance allowances etc, short + open circuit protection and soft start. As power goes up allowing sensible component choices really rapes your budget.

Even worse is that if you design for PA then you should be thinking a lot about safety, and ensuring that your amps mechanical dersign can take a life on the road.

Bottom line is that an amplifier can be as complicated or as not as you want it to be, but cost and time goes up exponentially with power and features. Stick to building amps intended for home use I reckon, or maybe for installation into powered cabs and intended only to power known drivers or you may come rapidly into problems :D

Start very small and work bigger. sound.westhost.com is an excellent starter site for all sorts of DIY projects, probably the best on the net.
pooju View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2007 at 11:42am
odc04r's got it bang on, unless you want a hobby and are sh8t hot on the electronics, it might not be worth your time, but obviously great for improving you understanding etc.

i've looked into it once, I'm have minimal knowledge, but from a cost point of view even if you're going to make a run the cost of the components isn't worth it - on a 500w a side amp for a run of 10 it worked out about 180 mark ex. knobs cases etc.
[a decent size transformer alone's going to be 50 unless you go switchmode route, even more complex ]
- then these the wonky components and few fkups in the making process to factor in.

But its the reliability that kills it, all manufacturers battle with quality control of individual components, thats what costs in the end, that how and why cheaper rip-offs come about: once the research is done mass buy components and scrap quality control, if it doesn't work have a new one,

basically you're not going to using the components enough to understand their true mechanical constraints/capabilities.  [not that you're not up to it just that takes a long time right] - yeah ok your not that bothered but when its been run for 10hrs flat out,  have you got that sort of time to test it?

and like odc04r says, aside from the greater power levels, its also the protection that complicates things, there all that time testings even when you've got a proven design right? even time you add a component you multiplied the margin for error.

also unless its suicide kit, it won't do you any favors in attracting hire-outs, or in the pat test department either.

Even with a mess about setup you'll still want reliability otherwise you're cash is up the wall again.

edit: esp might still be doing pcb's though which will make it easy for sure , maybe worth a look, 

good luck.

Edited by pooju - 27 May 2007 at 11:45am
Verr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Verr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2007 at 12:44pm
some places sell amp modules, basically the amp made for you, then you just have to wack it in a 19in rack and wire it all to speakons, xlr's and power.

i made one that is only 115w into 8ohms and i use it to run my compression drivers. i'm not sure whether it is because it is mosfet but it sounds better than any other amp i have tried and like everything else, if you made it you get a great sense of achievement.

The only quarms i have with building your own is:

-It works out either a little cheaper or same price, possibly more if you go wrong.

-testing something that has 240v going through can change the colour of your pants

-vu meters can be a pain

-building high wattage amps can make them unreliable, due to protection, build quality etc.

All in all i would advise starting with a small power amp and see how it goes, large scale amps require either the knowledge of god or a degree in quantum mechanics, however definately worth the graft.

Verr
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2007 at 12:12am
Hi i have made lots of my own amps,what do you want to do?Dead
hi power is not always best for hifi.
what power?
andy
a wise man changes his mind a fool does not.
http://www.matrixamplification.com/
lovaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 6:22pm
LOVAZ AUDIO
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 8:09pm
if one is to build hi performance amplifiers firstly do not use MPSA transistors.
thay are rubish!
use toshiba or simular 2sa970/2sc2240 ect.
toysClap
a wise man changes his mind a fool does not.
http://www.matrixamplification.com/
palesha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palesha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2007 at 7:29pm
Verr : i made one that is only 115w into 8ohms
Can u give the schematics & pcb layout?
 Post Reply Post Reply