Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ep2500 for 2(4) x 1850's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psytron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ep2500 for 2(4) x 1850's
    Posted: 13 July 2007 at 1:35am
 hello all :)

This is my first post, (have been lurking for many months).

i have decided to take the plunge and make some 1850's from this website
(with pd1850's of course). I am on a budget and this system is  mainly for
free parties mostly playing  minimal techno and psytrance outdoors.

so far I will be  starting out with 2x cabinets to be expanded to 4 (2 a
side) for bass. i will build some horn tops later but for the time being a
couple of mackies will do :)

i will test out the cabinets on a friendly local companies crown amps, but i
dont want to be hiring these every time we do a gig.

I am building a 3 way active processor (silicone chip mag) and will use a 
behringer 2 way eq.

My big question is will an ep2500 (behringer) drive 4 of these (2 per
channel). Each side will be in parallel so 4ohms per side @750w per side.
or do they just blow up???

I know they are cheap and i dont expect the greatest sound out of them
they are realy just a start.

Thanks

Kurt

Edited by psytron - 13 July 2007 at 1:35am
Rockin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2007 at 5:54am
Hi and welcome to the forums

750w per side into 2 1850's isnt gonna be ideal. In fact you run the risk of blowing the drivers if driven hard i think due to the amp clipping out before the drivers have got going. 1850's as i remember, need a big amp to make them work before they sound their best. I'd be looking to to get at least 1000w into each driver to run them without the risk of clipping the amp too much.

Now a ep2500 per side bridged into 2 cabs would be much much better
gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2007 at 4:09pm
yeah, these things will lap up 1k rms easily per cab!! save up and buy the biggest brute of an amp you can get your hands on!!
Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2007 at 4:35pm
forget using one EP2500...

You may get away with two, running bridged, delivering 1200w per driver

I have used two QSC RMX2450s like this in the past, but since buying a Void Infinite 8 to do the job (on paper delivers the same 1200w per driver with two cabs/drivers per side), the quality and depth of the bass in the system has gone up immensely.

If you are going to the expense of buying PD1850 drivers, do them justice and give them plenty of clean power...

I've run ONE per side of the Infinite 8 before and they just love getting driven hard!
Quickest way to kill them, though, is to deliver a distorted signal....especially as the driver is far enough down a throat so you won't necessarily hear anything is wrong until it stops working...

FUSHION SOUNDSYSTEM

www.fushion.org.uk
psytron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psytron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2007 at 3:54am
thanks for the advice guys :)
will definately take it on board.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 2:16am
Hi

I have posted this elsewhere on this group but...

EP2500 (not an amp I would have touched if I hadn't tryed them a few months ago...) bridged into a TSW 718 (4ohm box) massively outruns a Lab 6400, like 4x ep 2500 on SR ran 6dB ahead of the one 6400 on SL at a recent gig I had to back the processor to level them, so EP can deliver serious balls, wether you like blue boxes or not the 718 is a serious sub and the fact a £800 pile of chinese amps can drive it is pretty cool...

Cool I fear is where you may go wrong, 2U amps a not ideal in high power situations, consider runing one bridged for your 2 boxes (mono lo is the way for subs!) and buy a second for the next two... DON't rack them one top of each other, poss leave a 1U gap for them and if you do leave a gap rear rack support is a must as these amps are not htat strong as to hang off a 2U panel well...

IMHO if you don't brdige them (or it for now) you will clip the f*** out of the thing and kill your subs.... Subs LOVE HUGE sine waves put a small square wave really pisses them off!

:-)

Sean

Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

2U amps a not ideal in high power situations
Fisrt time I'm hearing that!Shocked Not even for the switch mode amps ?

gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Tekasis Tekasis wrote:

Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

2U amps a not ideal in high power situations

Fisrt time I'm hearing that!Shocked Not even for the switch mode amps ?

thats soooo general its untrue. each product has better and worse components, circuits, cooling ect, so amps like powersoft kickout volume. so yeah, thats that, bigger is not nessesarily better.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 6:40pm
True - Still new amps coming out in 3U cases, must be for a good reason. Take the Inf8_v2, with it's performance, I take it cooling must also be helped in the case it's in.  
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 7:37pm

Just an observation that we used have have probs with the old BSS EPC thermaling on long dance gigs and I have had bad heat build up issues with RMX amps (2u I note the big badger is 3u) in clubs, Main things is smaller airways (than the same power 3U amp) so easier to clog up I guess, we always try and install club amps in the beer cellar if we can as they get nice clean cold air, we just run them 24/7 to stop condensation building up at anypoint as the amps have enough residual heat output to keep themselves dry, trick I leaned from living int he UAE for a few years.. may be wrong but I can run 6 ep2500 (now I know a sain man (or lady) may not call that a amp!) harder longer with a 1u gap between units...

Would love to know what the digiram powersofts are like, 1U amps always remind me to the old chamelion jobbies that needed a 2U gap and dry ice on them to run all night!

Post Reply Post Reply