Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QSC or Matrix???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 12:21pm
O.K. I'm gonna say one more thing and then I'll be quiet. People will be thinking I have shares in Matrix, which is not the case. Neither is Andy a friend....... never met the guy although have spoken to him on a couple of occasions, and No, I'm not on commission or any other reward financial or otherwise.

It is quite rare in this world to find a person who produces a product which he believes in and is the best that he can possibly make it.  Matrix, as I'm sure everyone knows was a large company producing millions of pounds worth of amps every year. At the time the amps were in the same price bracket as QSC. The company went bust for whatever reason, Andy says it was because the retailers were not paying their bills quickly enough. It probably also had something to do with the influx of cheap Chinese amps.

Andy is now working from home, and has automated the amp building process to a point where he can compete with the chinese prices. With  minimal overheads he can invest in the best quality components, producing an amp which far outstrips the quality of anything from China. If you deal with him you are dealing with the guy that designed and built the amp.... totally from scratch.

Over the years I have had 6 Matrix amps as my rig has grown, shrunk and grown again. I have only ever had 1 problem, 1 side of a UKP1300 went down. I e-mailed Andy and he phoned  me within the hour. He asked how urgently I needed the amp and even offered to send an amp on loan overnight if I was stuck. There was no particular hurry, but even so it was back within 6 days.

I sold a Matrix Vector to a friend which had been my studio amp at home. I bought it second hand and had it for ages with no problems, but my mate lent it out to someone who unfortunately has a reputation for blowing stuff up (he blew 2 bass drivers and a comp driver in 6 months on some speakers I built for him). Anyway since it was quite old my mate took it to a local engineer to fix. According to my mate he was amazed at the build quality and said it was  far better than most of the amps he worked on.

Like I said at the outset it is rare to find people who will commit 100% to support  products they make and the people that buy them. Andy at Matrix is one. David at VOLT loudspeakers is another.

Try phoning Uli Berringer when your EP2500 goes wrong and see how far you get.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 1:06pm
Markie does Andy Matrix make any switchmode lightweight amps?

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
massacre_sounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote massacre_sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 1:08pm
Personally, I think the QSC plx amp's are fantastic for the money, even I bought some !
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 1:14pm

@ Disco Stu. Last time I spoke to him  he was working on a swichmode power supply. PM him and ask how far on he is, he's on the forum as andyamp.

If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12