Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To friendly hornresp guru..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiphei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 4:07pm
Uh.. I did more playing with hornresp after reading several posts written by Tom Danley in different forums.. I think few light-bulbs lit inside my head!

Some low frequency-end 'ripple'/un-evenness in these temp.-horns when used 2/side is clearly due to too small mouth! Stacking all 4 together corrects it in half space! A bit uneven response in higher-end is clearly  due to  impedance mismatch between throat and driver..  I modified the throat area in hornresp to about half of original (+rear volume to 37litres) and there it is.. 42Hz-200Hz +/-1,5dB with KappaPro15LF. Sensitivity around 106dB/1W/1m. With about 200W/bin one bin shows nearly 130dB output/bin and Xmax is exceeded at 45Hz.. (400W/bin would exceed 6mm Xmax at around 48Hz)

If i've understood correctly, that particular throat area would mean 1:4 compression ratio. As far as i know, these Kappas should be average quality drivers. Would that be too much for their 15" cone?

THEN another problem arises.. How the heck could THAT mod be accomplished in practice.. What would You think if i added one more panel, like the dark one on attached image? Yup! It changes the 1st segment flare, but thats already on hornresp.. Would it be too close to the driver to cause ill effects? (The driver sits in the middle of the baffle)

Cheers,
Jani
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234