Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

things to do on a sunday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Requiem Requiem wrote:

Does anyone else concur with that? Its got a shorter xmax, higher program power though
Xmax? Its not doing sub its doing kick
Mykey Wattco
Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

nice to see the old boxes

what point are you bringing the 15" section in? 3 mid bass against 6 loony bins is always going to be a big ask...

the bass section is not an HD15 and is tuned a little lower, it is much more similar to the old turbo TSE115 if anything. Personally i would stick with a good 3" coil driver, the B&C that Tony ASS likes could be a good bet, but ultimately if you want a lot of 120Hz, you probably want to go 1:1 with the subs.

Good to have input from the original builder!

When using the above set up, usually bring the 15"s in at around 110hz, as the looneys get a little honky above that. 
I suppose, I am used to using USBs as a kick section, so this could be where my issue lies as they have a fairly high output being dual 18" per box.

I am not slating these tops at all, in fact i love them, however we mainly play underground dance & rave music, bass heavy electronic music and when the system gets used to its capacity (as it often does) the weakest link is the kick section, not by far but I'm a bit of a perfectionist nowadays.

Will bear the B&C in mind then if that's what you recommend :)

Using 2x Void infinite 8 v2's (one on each stack of looneys)
a Void infinite 6 v2 on the kick section
Void infinite 4 v2 on the mid horns
and a Matrix XT800 on the HF.

Its pretty impressive!
www.requiem-soundsystem.com

Custom Martin Audio WSX, USB & CSG Soundsystem based in Bristol
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2014 at 2:48am
The CSG top's are really  nice and funky looking design.

I've heard the reqiuem system at teknival in france , was nice but think it could of been better! I can remeber there was a stack to left of it, clipping hard, you coold hear the bass drivers reaching their mechanical limit, when looked behind the stacks the powersofts were clipping, maybe bad gain staiging idk..
anyways, very nice gear you guys have. Maybe have a look at 18Sound 15ND930 (original xtro kick driver)

We need more SPL!
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2014 at 2:20pm
So nice reading this entire thread again!
Wonder why you ever got rid of the tops? bought f1? or got rid of subs too?
I would have done trapezoid tops, much harder to build though.

Originally posted by Wrighty Wrighty wrote:

Horn loaded 8PE21 sounds absolutely ace on midrange. I bought a horn and moulds from Tony.A.S.S., made a second horn and I run them from 400-2100Hz with a direct radiating 15" below and DE250 above. I'd imagine Mykey's horns, especially with the phase plug, will do the job too.

Any pics of these tops? I LOVE the sound of XTRO better than my 16 tms-2s!
I guess it's that straight horn doing the difference, kicking my chest!

@Mykey: You can hit XMAX at any freq band, not only bass!
You hit xmax at two freq, bottom freq (driver becomes unloaded) and peak horn freq.

In a kickhorn like tms-2 max excursion is at 120hz & 80 hz, not in between
In a midhorn max excursion is up higher in freq.
Even a 1" driver can hit xmax, guess that''s why they say something like rms power above 1.5 khz etc.

Edited by tv00 - 30 December 2014 at 2:21pm
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2015 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Dutchman Dutchman wrote:

The CSG top's are really  nice and funky looking design.

I've heard the reqiuem system at teknival in france , was nice but think it could of been better! I can remeber there was a stack to left of it, clipping hard, you coold hear the bass drivers reaching their mechanical limit, when looked behind the stacks the powersofts were clipping, maybe bad gain staiging idk..
anyways, very nice gear you guys have. Maybe have a look at 18Sound 15ND930 (original xtro kick driver)

Thats a long story... dont ask. Well ill tell you in brief, haha.
Had a bit of an episode on the first day and for the duration of the teknival we were running on only 5 out of 12 looney bins... And obviously they were not coupled as they were were in the stack randomly.
obviously the top end had to be reduced to counter for this,

So yes it could of sounded a LOT better. & a lot louder. Was not our proudest moment... We have had our system much louder & better sounding with half of the stack we took to France. Fully intend on making up for it this year though!

As for the rig to the left of me, yeah he didnt have a f'in clue what he was doing. He pretty much plugged his speakers in and left it the whole teknival without even tweaking anything, there were no delays set on the system so his tops were kicking in before his bins (invaders) and my rig which was next to it, (Looney / Xtro)
He even had to go off and get someone from another soundsystem to help him set it up as he was too proud to ask us for help...
You would never guess it but that system has been doing partys longer than us... But they still cant set up their system right :P

Anyway, as for the kick section of my tops, I dont think using the original Xtro 15" would be suitable as they are completely different type of enclosure...
I was thinking maybe the PD 1550, what are peoples views on that driver and whether it would do well in that enclosure?

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2015 at 1:01am
I don't see why that driver should not be good, I'd sim it, that's the way I choose my 15", I use rcf mb15n401, what do you use?
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2015 at 11:44pm
At the moment they are a mish mash between the Eminence kappalite and the Kappa LF, (they were originally all loaded with the kappalite) Im looking to upgrade.

No experience with simming, no idea how it works, im not a box builder 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516