Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

??? Overboard ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 3:34pm

The only limiting factor would be the heat sink size. In this photo submitted in the following hyperlink, there is only one heat sink (one channel) shown in the CS 800.

http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18854

Two would be around 16 inches across or deep for 24 transistors using one channel. Thirty-six will take up even more space (24 inches in width or depth for one channel). If you use the above type of heat sinks shown in the hyper link above, your design will operate very cold/slighly warm under any conditions in terms of music. Smaller types will increase the temperature.

It may be wiser to use two Power Transformers so you can distribute the power on two AC circuits so, you won't have to current limit the amplifier. Once you begin current limiting the design, your project is lost for that's what it excels on.

If you haven’t registered, you might want to join www.diyaudio.com and, create a topic in the solid state forum. Many designers are about (Old & New) that can tell you what is needed and, what is not. You might even find someone that was brazen enough to build such a design.

At the rate you are going, you will approach close to 300 pounds in no time.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 26 January 2009 at 4:03pm
Elliot Thompson
_Adrian_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Adrian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 2:44am
UPDATE:

dropped off the pre-driver section to have a few board made up.
the guy was amazed at first and was wondering if i was building a welder of some sort Ermm
When i told him what i was working on he gave me the Wacko look and with a tiny voice he asked if he heard right...
Couldn't rezist but had to trow in that i left the flux capacitor out of the diagram since thats the top secret part of it LOL

long story short...
$50 for 4 boards and got him to order me 2 forced cooling heatsinks, really nice ones at that!!
its pretty much a square aluminum tube with copper honeycomb design inside and a wall thickness about 3/16 on the mounting side.
dimensions are as follows 120mm x 120mm x 400mm long, and though it was a steal for $70 each. He uses them to keep triac cool disspating over 3500W into the tunnel and keeping it at only 22C.

as far as the transformer goes...
the closest i found was a monster 8KVA toroid with 2oo/440V primaries and tripple tapped secondaries at 25, 60, 120V on each secondary... $500

EDIT..
need to find BOM so i can start ordering some parts cuz the ones that were on the schematic are there but its incomplete information.

Edited by _Adrian_ - 27 January 2009 at 2:55am
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 12:59pm
Very nice Transformer.

I began looking around for high current transformers and, the author was correct. It is very hard to find a readily available transformer above 1.5kW unless it is customed design.

Have you figured out the overall dimensions of this amplifier yet?

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 1:47pm
Mate,

You might want to view this this post

It may help you add the missing parts that the author did not add.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12