Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1"comp driver as temporary replacement of 1,4"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1"comp driver as temporary replacement of 1,4"
    Posted: 22 March 2009 at 11:25pm
hi

i broke one of my 1.4" compression drivers and i have 2 gigs before i can get replacement, can i put another comp driver, but different size, it's a 1" b&c de250, on same horn (with different holes to fit the driver) and same frequencies 2khz to 7khz?

thanks!
AlfieDring View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfieDring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2009 at 2:11am
should be fine, what flare is it? and do you mean you have a correct adaptor for the 1.4" to 1" throat converstion?

Alf
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2009 at 8:18am
Originally posted by AlfieDring AlfieDring wrote:

should be fine, what flare is it? and do you mean you have a correct adaptor for the 1.4" to 1" throat converstion?

Alf

the 1,4"cd is mounted on a 1,4"horn, i'd like to replace the bigger cd with 1" one, just for a couple of gigs, no adaptor, just stick to the horn with different holes cut for the new smaller comp driver
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2009 at 10:18am
Not ideal(bad transition in throat) BUT you will hear sound. Can you replace both(assuming 2 boxes)? At least if there are any nasties, they can be equalised out of the total system.

The horn will load the driver ok, and seeing as it is 2-7k should be reasonable. Maybe you could invest in the adaptors?
Speaker addict
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2009 at 10:45am
hi

yes, i will replace both. but i broke just 1x 1,4"comp driver, the other is fine but i prefer to change both...
the woofers below the horn are 2xb&c 12pe32 with 600w amp power and very efficient (101,5db each) so is there too much stress for the driver to keep up with them? ...there is passive crossover at 2khz from mid to comp driver.
i hope somebody can give me good infos cause i would like to go though these 2 gigs "safe", til i get the replacements...the cabs are smt212 (staiper design), sitting above 2 hog scoops and 2 18"reflex subs (4kw on bass, 1,2kw on the 2x212, 500w on 4 tweeter horns above the comp driver)

all the best

Edited by king david - 23 March 2009 at 1:34pm
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 1:57am
Maybe just drop the overall spl from the tops a tiny bit(3db is half as much power) and 'scrape' by on these gigs, before repairing your other driver. Or seeing as you have 4 horns, L-pad your 1" back a few db and let the remaining horns run at normal power?
Speaker addict
 Post Reply Post Reply