Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1" horn for 8Khz upwards - ME45 vs Bi Radial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1" horn for 8Khz upwards - ME45 vs Bi Radial
    Posted: 23 April 2009 at 2:13pm
I have the opportunity to buy 4x 1" horns similiar to these n (unfortunately in MDF cabs), for good price.

I also own some B&C ME45 Alum 60x40 Horns.

Which will sound better,  give best dispersion, best throw for 8khz + ?

I'm leaning towards the bi radials, as that is a solution complete for 2x stacks.

Regards.

Edited by levyte357 - 23 April 2009 at 2:15pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 6:27pm
James Folkes may still have some EV HPT42 horns that I brought over for him - These were a common solution in many older systems for long throw HF - often used with the EV DH3 comp. driver..

Normally I'd look at bullets or slots for 8K+ though..

/p
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Peter Moller Peter Moller wrote:

James Folkes may still have some EV HPT42 horns that I brought over for him - These were a common solution in many older systems for long throw HF - often used with the EV DH3 comp. driver..

Normally I'd look at bullets or slots for 8K+ though..

/p

Fancied some Fane slots/bullets, but the diaphragms are a bit rare/costly.

So I'm gonna roll with these 1" for now, and then eventually upgrade my 2" to Beyma CP755TI or B&C DE85, when rig pays for it.

The ME45 does sound sweet, but I know the Bi-radials will really project, question is will they combine projection with clarity.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 6:47pm
If the ME45 is a true expo, it will suffer from not so nice dispersion that high (read: beaming). You can still array, but it will be a tad harder.

The radials will have very good horizontal pattern control, but not so good vertical, when I have to, I array horizontal. Dispersion is easy - it is pretty much the angle between the walls. How wide are they?

I'd listen to both if you have the chance.

PS

That's a radial - a Biradial is CD
Away on extended leave.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Deadbeat Deadbeat wrote:

The radials will have very good horizontal pattern control, but not so good vertical, when I have to, I array horizontal. Dispersion is easy - it is pretty much the angle between the walls. How wide are they?

They are approx 23" Wide, the cabs are not trap, so will they need splaying, or will I escape with just placing them flush horizontally?

I'd listen to both if you have the chance.

I listen to the ME45+Celestion 1" everyday, in my living room. LOL

I'll rig something up at a local hall, to test both of them.

PS

That's a radial - a Biradial is CD

Thanks.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 7:15pm
Yeah, expos are nice close up and/or straight on at HF - making them a favourite for studio/hifi use - they have the full proper FR on at 0 degrees.

They'd need splaying (do the usual trick, guesstimate and adjust). If you do happen to go vertical, move em around a bit back and forth - there will inevitably be some weirdness on the floor, but you can always move it around a bit.

You're welcome. Have fun.
Away on extended leave.
 Post Reply Post Reply