Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EV T18s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeolian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EV T18s
    Posted: 17 November 2005 at 3:34am

Newbie here.  I've built plenty of guitar cabs, but I've been putting together a moderate PA based on EV S100's stacked in a line array.  The CD horns actually blend really well and the set up is easy to carry around.  But I'm working on compact subs to go with it.

Does anyone have the layout for the EV T18's?  I have a pair of S181's and another pair of drivers.  I'd like to build 4 of the T18 style cabs and swap all the drivers into them.  Since I already have the EV drivers, the T18 dimensions would give the correct tuning, as opposed to something like the RTL which I've already found.

Insomnia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insomnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2005 at 2:34pm

hello mate

click the search option and type T18 it shud come up with a wire frame drawing of how they are put together

aeolian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeolian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2005 at 6:29pm
Thanks, but I've searched this side, and the pro audio lab site, six ways to Sunday and can't find such a diagram.  I did find a layout for the 2-18 thing, an MT4 I believe, but not the single driver T18 cab.  And the MT4 is not exactly 2 T18's mated together.  I could try to reverse engineer the volumes and port lengths, and transfer that to the published exterior dimensions of the T18, but that would be a bear.  Any links would be much appreciated.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2005 at 6:49pm
No the MT4 is a big 4 driver BP6/manifold beast
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
aeolian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeolian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2005 at 5:44pm

Opps, I think I mean an MTL.  I have found that EV made something called an Sb180 that has the angled front part of the baffle like the MTL, to make more of a horn than the T18 which just has the speaker mounting surface going all the way to the front of the cabinet.

Does anyone know how these compare to the T18's?  Are they exactly half an MTL?  Thanks.

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2005 at 10:41pm
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 1:54am
I don't know how EV measure, but if you place a LP mid-band you end up with a nice over-all transfer function suitable for live-music. Not too many BR subwoofers measure 95dB@50hz in case you were wondering (especially not under power)
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 5:24am
EV's measurements are interesting...The eliminator sub says -3db points at 40hz and 100hz(+/-3db) yet 40hz is 20db below the max sens at 65hz and 100hz is 4db below the peak. Doesn't look right to me(16db is NOT +/-3db) 
Speaker addict
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 10:01pm

Originally posted by Timber_MG Timber_MG wrote:

I don't know how EV measure, but if you place a LP mid-band you end up with a nice over-all transfer function suitable for live-music. Not too many BR subwoofers measure 95dB@50hz in case you were wondering (especially not under power)

Yep but whats the point unless you get the T18 cheap,its just gimicky.That sharp peak in output looks horrible! BR can achieve about 1dB sensitivity less than that.

I just dont see any real advantages.

aeolian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeolian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 2:11pm

I see that I would get a smoother response with a bass reflex.  And I understand that they couple to the floor in small rooms well.  But I want something small that I can still use outdoors and has some throw.  The s181 cabs I have now are okay in small rooms, but less efficient than the T18 and have no throw at all the speak of.  It seems like the T18's are a good compromise between a br and larger full blown horn.  I will need to hear the subs in small rooms on occasion, and don't want something that takes fifty feet to develop, or requires buying a big truck to haul around.

LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2005 at 6:11pm
I will add that although they do have wierd response,they do sound good with live music. There is a pub in Fremantle West Aus that until about 2 months ago used 2 a side under dual 12" ev's(dunno which ones). They were rather nice actually and output wasn't a problem. Maybe another case of odd response and high distortion actually 'sounding' nice to the human ear?
Speaker addict
 Post Reply Post Reply