Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Get Your Racks Out Part 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 5:55pm
The way CSG has done it here is the exact same i wire up all amp-racks. An individual speakon for every channel in the rack, and then a combo speakon for two channels together. Quite some cases where i would not want to not be able to only use a single channel only. First thing that comes to mind is speakers that are switchable from passive to active, or cabs you sometimes want to bi-amp and sometimes want to single amp, such as i did with my double 12'' mids'
But yeah that could have worked too, but for the cost of two speakons and loss of generality, i think this is the best solution.
Since this is the Get your racks out topic, this is how i cabled my TSA rack:
So this is an NL8 with all 4 channels in the normal order, then seperate channels 1-4 and then two combo speakons 1+2 and 3+4. Harting 24 with only 12 pins used to connect the 4 channels to my processor which has 3 harting 24 outputs.

Edited by Teunos - 30 October 2015 at 5:56pm
Best regards,
Teun.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 6:06pm
Since i am posting now anyways and i never did before, here is my main rack, which still needs a proper distro in it. Now it still just has a temporary extension cord in it....

Renkus Heinz P2500 and P2000 (Crest P7001 and P6001). 

Again a Harting 24 for 8 channels of input, 8 seperate output channels, 4 combi speakons and 2x NL-8 per 4 channels. 

Electro voice Netmax N8000 with 1x MI-1 8channel Mic/line input card, 3x AO-1 8channel analog output card, DM-1 Dante 32x32 card and DSP-2 extension Module.
Since this picture was taken i have also added a Harting 24 on the frontal panel to be able connect a stagesnake with a multicore.

This way i can for instance use the 8 inputs and route them to my computer via dante and use the processor as measuring interface for smaart, as well as being able to see what the processor is actually doing to the signal in realtime. This is extremely conveient cause i can just measure a speaker for a single second and store the trace in Smaart. Then i can recreate the response curve of the driver in the processor by inverting the in and output channel either in smaart itself or in Dante controller. This way i basically build the response of the driver but then inverted. When i then apply this processing to the device under test, the result will be a perfect flat line. 

p.s. Sorry that the pictures are not so very sharp.
Best regards,
Teun.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2015 at 8:38pm
[QUOTE=mini-mad]Would a bunch of 2U boxes not have suficed?

Do they really need that amount of room around them to prevent heating issues?

I see WHy you did it but surely you could have done it in smaller racks... even 3U if you really need the airflow and it would be a shorter stack and 1 box worth of space in the truck. I know it dont seem much but im just a hater of wasted space.

....oh, and highly jealous of your amps too! Lol

[/QUOTE

Its nothing to do with heat, its purely to do with space.

those patch panels have 32/1 in and thru, 8 xlr's, 6 nl4 sockets and 2 ethercons. That is a squeeze on a 2U rack panel.
Yes, i guess i could have squeezed it into a 3RU, but i can live quite happily with a 4RU for 4 5K channels.
The front panels are all solid to force all the air through the amp and the warm air out the back rather than allow it to convect into the amp above, likewise the perforated panel is at the top on the rear to help cooling via convection and avoid warm air getting trapped.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2015 at 1:09am
Originally posted by Teunos Teunos wrote:

The way CSG has done it here is the exact same i wire up all amp-racks. An individual speakon for every channel in the rack, and then a combo speakon for two channels together. Quite some cases where i would not want to not be able to only use a single channel only. First thing that comes to mind is speakers that are switchable from passive to active, or cabs you sometimes want to bi-amp and sometimes want to single amp, such as i did with my double 12'' mids'
But yeah that could have worked too, but for the cost of two speakons and loss of generality, i think this is the best solution.
Since this is the Get your racks out topic, this is how i cabled my TSA rack:
So this is an NL8 with all 4 channels in the normal order, then seperate channels 1-4 and then two combo speakons 1+2 and 3+4. Harting 24 with only 12 pins used to connect the 4 channels to my processor which has 3 harting 24 outputs.

Harting Man, that is a blast from the past.....

good to see it is still alive...

Smile

midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2015 at 4:34pm
Had our big rig out again last night, first time with the new racks. 

Slimmed down and on a decent power supply. We did some fiddling with settings, delays ect. It is good to have friends with measuring tools. 

Massive difference, CA18's & 12's on a decent 3 phase distro. Very surprising sound, for the first time I was really happy with the sound, sub was thunderous, ASS kicks brilliant and set up properly the Production Services tops with additional 10's and 2 inch sounded clear and crisp.

Edited by midas - 01 November 2015 at 4:39pm
In bass no one can hear you scream!
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2015 at 6:52pm
Nice1 Midas racks look very impressive
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109