Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To bridge or not to bridge?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To bridge or not to bridge?
    Posted: 04 September 2010 at 1:24pm

Afternoon All, first post, but have been a silent guest for ages...

I did an install recently, where we fitted 4 EV SX300, and re-used the customers existing amplifiers, from a different venue. He happened to have 4 Bose (Carver) 1600VI amps, 240W/Ch into 8 ohm or 700W Bridged into 8 ohm for same 0.2% THD.

As he had four amps, i obviously used all four, each bridged into one speaker, and just set limiters to suit (and tamed the vicious 7KHz peak in the response of the sx300!).

In this instance, it was obvious to bridge, and cost my client no extra money for having two extra amplifiers, as he already had them. Space was also not an issue in the rack. However, it got me thinking; is it better to use two small amps bridged to give stereo, or a single bigger amp in normal stereo mode.

For example, would there be much difference, measurable or audible, between using two small amps to give stereo, each bridged to give say 600W into 8 ohm to power each full range cab, Vs using a single bigger amp which was capable of 2x600W into 8 ohm? Assume the amps are of the same manufacturer/range and design architecture/power supply class.

Is it dependent on application, i.e. bridge into subs, but HFs sound "nicer" unbridged? I expect a lot of the usual reason for bridging into big subs, is it is the only way to get huge power cheaply into a 1KW+ driver, but does the bridged output, with its higher voltage potential differences have an acoustic advantage? I am guessing piezos wont like the higher voltages of bridged outputs, but I try not to use piezos anywayWink

Whilst I am seeking enlightenment, I have very rarely used an amp at 2 ohm, and I would be very uncomfortable bridging to 4 ohm, even with qsc, crown etc. Am I just being a paranoid woose, or is there advantages from running to amp design limits?

As an aside the client's amps came from his pub in Cockermouth (behave) after his venue got 10Ft deep in the floods that hit Cumbria. His insurer screwed him, after we had supplied new for old on the insurers instruction! These redundant amps then moved to his second venue, in Whitehaven, which opened a week before the cab driver went nuts with the gun, killing 12+. This bloke has unbelievable luck....

Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
 Post Reply Post Reply