Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

show us your back plates (connector panel)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: show us your back plates (connector panel)
    Posted: 22 October 2010 at 8:27am
working on some at the moment, got fed up with metal and machining prices

so I'm going for one size for all cabs, in fibreglass

I'll put some pic's up, in the meantime, show us yours?

Smile 

Edited by mykey- - 22 October 2010 at 9:19am
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 9:03am
If you're talking about connector panels, I just use black laminated ply (flightcase material), it's very cheap when you have an unlimited supply of offcuts!
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 9:10am
I tend to use 15mm or 18mm ply, offcuts from the box itself. I also tend to use couter sunk machine screws and T-nuts for the panels with "standardised" hole pattern so I can make new panels if needed.
philofthenoise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philofthenoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 9:23am
Ive recently changed my rig to run on NL8 so I can do a full FOH through two 25m 4mm 8 core, then just use short links to connect to the tops. Its set up so I have 2 cores spare to run infills or center fills if needed.

IMG_0172 by pmproaudio, on Flickr
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 10:31am
nice phil

slightly bigger than mine Embarrassed
for a minute i thought you had used rivet's, then at a closer look, you've used some cool hexaganol countersunk lovelies

Aluminium?
torch1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torch1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 10:42am
Can't find a better picture at the moment but:

philofthenoise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philofthenoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 10:47am
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

nice phil

slightly bigger than mine Embarrassed
for a minute i thought you had used rivet's, then at a closer look, you've used some cool hexaganol countersunk lovelies

Aluminium?

Hi Mykey, You were right the first time, they are countersunk rivets. I was in a mad rush trying to get them done as the PA was in somerset the next day.. from Newcastle!
The plates are made from stainless
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 11:02am
Bloody hell Torch, they're beautiesClap got a better pic?

nice phil, Rivets are cool
torch1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torch1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 11:12am
I thought I did but can't find any on my computer! Only other one is this:

Which is worse! LOL

Will try and grab a better one when I'm in the lock up

mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by philofthenoise philofthenoise wrote:

Ive recently changed my rig to run on NL8 so I can do a full FOH through two 25m 4mm 8 core, then just use short links to connect to the tops. Its set up so I have 2 cores spare to run infills or center fills if needed.

IMG_0172 by pmproaudio, on Flickr
silly mistakeEmbarrassed

I have made two rubber molds for the back plates and realized after looking at Phils back plates, the sockets are slightly protruding , almost flush, mine are slightly behind, and when you use the speakon plug, it don't marry up correctly Angry and I don't want them front mounted, think it looks a bit ugly

I will have to use less resin or trim the molds down, trimming the molds may be to hard

I also did the rubber molds with all the screw holes showing ready for drilling, but then realized in this heat, there is a lot of shrinkage, so now i have done them blank apart from the socket holes, this way I can get the stickers/transfers with the drill holes marked on that, also all the wording/text, then I have perfect positioning for drillingSmile

Edited by mykey- - 22 October 2010 at 2:39pm
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 2:42pm
Tony, what you got for us, old or new, don't matter

I remember you did some that were a unique shape, almost like the shape of a hook nose, you would know what I mean?
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 5:46pm
Those plates were from the Spektra Series. The back plate become a larger version of the handle in the same cabs. Can't find any pics of those yet, but here's some other boring ones. The HI Fi plates were were made from 1/4'' Brass plate. I now do them out of bakerlite. The method for the other cab plates came about in the early days. It was a must for a lot of horn cabs I did, where you couldn't easily pass a cable through. This method makes it easy and allows you to change the socket plate for another configuration if you so desire.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post Reply Post Reply