Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Rigs/ Rig Progress/ New Builds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 5:47am
after browsing the forum and seeing other members progression i decided hey, mine hasn't been that bad really. so here goes...

this is as early as I dare go, at one point this was run off of a Sony HiFi, unfortunately I don't have any pictures of this, but yes. it was quite terrible.

these were the next developments/fails. it was a complete mish mash of 1/4" jack, speakon and bare pole behind that. I really with id got some better photos of just how bad it was.

i was quite proud at the time at the amount of kit id actually accumulated to run such a small system. used to take great pleasure in pulling it all out, setting it up, just to then have to pack it all away when the parents got home/neighbours complained/police turned up in a riot van (im not joking, they actually did! There was only three us there) 

this is what I used to take to friends houses, BBQ's etc etc, although small and somewhat terrible. still provided many hours of fun for me and my very drunk friends

this is what id class as my first 'rig', at this point I think id just started coming on to SpeakerPlans regularly, i decided id start getting some matching cabs and do it properly. Unfortunately i still proceeded to buy two more C-Subs and yes, they are soundlab mid-tops :( 

my next purchase was these two H/H concert horns, I paid for the whole concert system but the bastard never turned up with the rest, to say I was angry would be an understatement. But anyway, I look back now and wish I'd put the horns on the ground instead of in your face. But hey, we all learn.

this was the rack i used for the best part, as you can imagine they both had great fun running four c-subs, two folded horns, the soundlabs, the peavey, a cubo-12, and a compression driver for good measure. I cant complain though because it worked (all be it badly, but worked none the less) and the whole lot (minus flightrack) cost me less than £150, and that includes the patch panel and all the tails/connectors/various other cables.

I even managed to make progress with my  flight cases too, I decided ammo cases were far too heavy as it is, so I went from the above, to the below. I was lucky enough to pick this up from an auction for £4! All it took was some MDF offcuts and a few spare castors and now she's a beauty.

Right, now for the progression bit...

this is what were moving on too, this is our first of four, with the other three waiting to be glued and screwed. We decided that the SMT was our best bet as they go down to 90hz and as we are putting them on top of six double 18" mini-scoops (which I should be able to upload pictures of tomorrow) they should meet nicely. 

Anyway, hope you enjoy the read as much as I've enjoyed building it. Any comments welcome (just bear in mind I'm still new to this and I'm only just 18)

It just feels like it's never quite loud enough...
mstep77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstep77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2012 at 7:39pm
Great stuff Randall!!

Just think what it will look like when your 30................
Randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2012 at 5:30pm
Cheers the scoops arrived Wednesday so I'll endeavour to get some pictures up. As I said, it's been great fun already and I'll certainly be happy to be doing this at 30!
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2012 at 10:08am
Randall some of those pics make me cringe!

But then i cant talk...i have a few embarrassments which will be posted on here soon. The first speakers I built: 2x 10" scoops using mdf for some pioneer house speakers, then using 2 more of the same drivers, i built 2x 10" horns similar to HDs with port holesConfused I did include the internal crossovers from the original cabs so the scoops didn't sound all that bad, but the HDs were shocking!

To top that all off, i built a single mid flare (50w guitar speaker) +1 peizo flare +2 peizo bullet tweeters (butchered from a crappy HF box i bought from fleebay). This was okay but only at low volume Embarrassed

All 5 cabs were painted in red and orange and powered by a pioneer house amp on bridge mono with all the cabs wired into the single output! After a while the amp fried and the speakers started to fall apart, the only speaker that still exists is one scoop that is still going strong!

I have to get the pics from Facebook so it could take a while. I might start a Lucid System thread because some of the new gear will be here tomorrow and its always good to show progress! Big smile

Edited by Tocooltom - 31 January 2012 at 10:09am
Randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 2:58am
hahaha, im glad its not just me Wink
As poor as it all was, I got a lot of enjoyment from all this, decided it was best not to start  new thread for our system yet. Still got a lot of work to do yet. Its getting there though, slowly but surely.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234