Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driver Radiation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djtuffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driver Radiation
    Posted: 10 February 2011 at 11:44am
I believe that the output from the front and the rear of a driver is the same.  Doesn't the magnet and frame disrupt the output from the rear of the driver somewhat?  Having a go at a 6th order bandpass cab and wondered if the driver orientation will have any affect on the results.

Cheers
MunkeyQ View Drop Down

Beware,Scammer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MunkeyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2011 at 11:56am
Depends on the frequency band it's being asked to play. Over about 400-500hz, you get unwanted reflections from the basket and motor messing with the response. Above that, the dustcap and area around that tends to effectively decouple from the rest of the cone (if it's a large driver), re-radiating the higher frequencies. The dustcap material actually plays quite a big part for the HF response in some designs...

However, since it's in a 6th order cab, it's playing well below those sort of frequencies and the cabinet design will act as a mechanical crossover. What's more of a concern though is the air volume the motor takes up...needs to be calculated so the chamber size can be adjusted. More of a concern in smaller designs tbh.
skytronic is my dirty little secret.

WANTED: 4U case
djtuffer View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djtuffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2011 at 12:25pm

Cheers, I have accounted for the volume displaced by the driver so we should be good.  A Bit experimental so I hope it works out! 

Post Reply Post Reply