Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

building a pre-amp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: building a pre-amp
    Posted: 27 June 2006 at 4:30am
Yes folks,

i see i need a reggae-preamp. is it possible to get the similar sound out of an mixer ( with cut-outs )  and a full parametric eq? in a preamp there is no limiter ? how to run the system safe then?! by ear?

Does anybody have some advices to build my own 4-way preamp?

nobody did it in sweden/germany so i could not ask anybody here

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2006 at 10:14am
mskeete's your man ask him

Edited by mykey - 27 June 2006 at 10:15am
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2006 at 1:56pm
Mat.. You will find it very difficult to get the kind of functions you want by putting together a mixer and other rack type equipment. Features such as the kill switches will be difficult to assign only to the music input, as is generally desired. if you search around the forum (if it still exists) there was a good discussion on this topic between mskeete and others. Just search for "reggae preamp" and it should come up.

I've been slowly building up knowledge over a couple of years as I too woulkd like to build up my own pre. there are plenty available, but I want the experience and the pleasure of playing a self built piece of kit. I also want to customise the features to my own requirements.

After some time I'm about ready to build a simplified version of my design to test the general layout, but I expect it won't all work as hoped first time out and I'm probably looking at another extended period of working out the faults. Something with so many features will never be easy to build into one box. So, if you want to DIY, expect a long road. If you choose not too then mskeete or others such as Tubbys can surely sort you out with a unit. I know mskeete has supplied sounds in france, so you're not out of range.

If you want a good place to start looking for useable circuit blocks and general electronic knowledge is the australian site esp diy audio. Google it and it should come up...

Whatever you decide, good luck, get that sound running and spread some vibes.. jeth
Dubaholic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2006 at 2:17pm
I have a phone numbetr for an Irad i got passed it through here couple months ago i phoned him he can make what u want!! unlike jts he will put what u want/need on the pre, he is well priced as well
 -3 way £400
 -4 way £500
only thing is i dont know what his pre's are like?? does anyone else???
if u want his num send us a private.

Matthias View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 10:47am
thank you all,

puh lots of work to be done...!

this is a very good link jeth!! this guy is totally crazy. genie!
PISSHEAD View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PISSHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 12:30pm
Hi mate, have a look at this web site.......

www.marchandelec.com/index.html
The 'drunken master' strikes again.
 Post Reply Post Reply