Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker placement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote `Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker placement
    Posted: 28 December 2011 at 6:40pm
I stuck this in the newbie section nearly a week ago, and havent had a reply i i thought i would try it in here (hope thats ok with the mods Smile). Ive been trying to firgure out the best way to splay my tops and the distance to have them apart. Best i found was this http://bobmccarthy.wordpress.com/2010/03/28/uncoupled-array-design-beginnings-and-endings/ but its not fully sorted it in my head.

I normally either have 1 or 2 void stasys 3 mk1's (Dispersion 45 h 35 v) a side and i would just make a guestimate when spacing them apart and then try and get them sounding as best as i can. I was just wondering if theres any decent reading on this or a good simulation program to help avoid as much comb filtering as possible, help choose a decent distance between the stacks and improve the overall sound and coverage.

Hope that is understandable and makes sense.

Cheers Matt
cyte View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 7:45pm
That article is way too advanced for what you need,
Horizontal dispersion divided by 2 = splay angle  (between two imaginary lines down the centre of each cab, meeting behind them). Simple as. Makes sense when you think about it. 

45/2=22.5 so 23 degrees your case. 

`Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote `Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 7:55pm
Maybe i didnt word my sentences very well. I want to know if you have two stacks what is the distance you want to have between them. I would of assumed there must be an optimum distance depending on the dispersion of the tops and a way to work this out.

Edited by `Matt - 28 December 2011 at 7:55pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 8:15pm
:

nothing. didn't read it right..

Edited by cravings - 28 December 2011 at 8:15pm
cyte View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 8:15pm
Oh I see, sorry!
You shouldn't get much combing, if any, from two sources firing towards each other and crossing (i.e. the inner-most tops on each side) as you said there is an optimum distance between stacks depending on the dispersion of the tops, to minimise the size of the gap or 'dead zone' at the front that is not directly in any speaker's sound field. Don't forget you can compensate with infills if necessary.

Basically if you are using one 45 or 50 degree cab per side, the distance between your two stacks should be much closer than if you are using an array with a total dispersion of 90 or 120 degrees. 

Maybe someone else can provide a more precise technique!
`Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote `Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 8:46pm
Thats near enough the conclussion i had come to in my head, the smaller the degree of dispertsion the closer the stacks need to be together. Infills are good but sometimes they arent pratical. I was just wondering if there was a calucation/any more reading on this matter. Hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

Cheers for your replys anyway Corticyte they are much appreciated! Thumbs Up

Edited by `Matt - 28 December 2011 at 8:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply