Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ɤɤɤ Show Off Your Custom Subwoofer(s) ɤɤɤ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 6:06pm
Sorry that was sexist. Some wives might not hate speakers.

Edited by b grade - 21 July 2015 at 6:07pm
RosscoPico View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2015 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Better to do every 1/x of an octave rather than fixed increment - your method will put proportionally more measurements in the upper part of the response, where a lot of horn based systems are more efficient, so that can skew the resulting calculated value away from what's realistic.
HTH,
David.

You make valid points there David, however in this instance this was one-off build for a customer and as the simulated response was shown to be very linear across this part of the frequency range, it was a quick measurement for simplicity stake.  (i.e. as it's not one of our actual product line, we didn't take more precise and detailed measurements)

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Not just the bracing, but the port positioning, bracing point, flare rate, etc!

The flare rate on our cabs is in 3 sections which is different from the Incubus which has just 1 section from what I can see in the photo.

The bracing points are determined by where the panels are going to have the greatest flex, this is the purpose of braces to connect top to bottom and left to right panels to elimiate undesirable resonances.

For a bandpass horn subwoofer, there aren't really any other places to put the ports as they can't really be in the middle and this is typical for structual integrity and the reason of logic.  The inclubus ports are different to ours as they have a flare rate whereas ours don't.   We also have other older ported horn designs with single drivers which we developed prior to this double 18".

The Incubus had a 3x21" config rather than 2x18", which means that the loading is completely different inside as well as the chambers and length of the horn etc.

Our bracing has been contructed out of wood rather than metal.  The angular bracing style we've been using since way before the Incubus was released and have examples of cabs we build 6 or more years ago with this styling.  In fact to help us try and look different from FK1 and Void who used circular cutouts in their bracing (the only Void model I can remember with this was the Airmotion kick bin) at the time, we started using trianglar and chevron shaped cutouts in our bracing a long long time ago.  

More recently Void have started doing the same as us and using triangular and chevron shaped cutouts in their bracing...  Funnily enough this was mentioned about our Predator system on a Facebook thread before when some people thought we had coined the idea from the Incubus, I was able to demonstate from old photos that we had actually been using this kind of bracing styling from a time long before the Inclubus was ever released (I can show you if you like!) LOL

Originally posted by Darkstar Darkstar wrote:

I'm pretty sure no one here believes you have copied anything Ross, I think sometimes going in the right direction leads to having similar results as others.

I hope so Darkstar and I agree with you there, plus with certain loading configurations and box type, their are only a limited number of attributes that you can sometimes adjust to create a different look.

As it happens, we actually wish for our cabinets to look as unique as possible so they don't get confused with otther brands and that also helps to give us a stronger identity and therefore branding.  If people are thinking they were standing in front of a pile of Void or FK1, then I can't see how that's going to benefit us at all in the long run!

However I am prepared to say that occassionally we take inspiration for new concepts, ideas and some styling aspects from other brands, although we wish to make them our own by developing ideas in a different direction where it's possible to do so.  I'd be extremely surprised if Rog and Tony etc. hadn't taken any inspiration from other loudspeaker designers in their lifetimes.....much the same as for most creative, inventive and artistic people.

On a finishing note, we recently noticed how Danley Labs have recently changed their colour scheme to black and bright orange for their internals, so they are not so very dissimilar looking to our products nowConfused!! 

Edited by RosscoPico - 22 July 2015 at 12:40pm
.:ELEMENT 5 SYSTEMS:.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2015 at 1:09pm
Haha I'm not really having a go, there are only so many ways to skin a cat, but there have been lots of people saying that
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2015 at 1:57pm
Hi Toasty, sure no worries!  I didn't necessarily think you were having a dig at all, but thought I should at least attempt to clarify a few things before it could develop into a particular perception of our ethos.

Anyway to steer back on thread, lets see some more custom subs....Star

Edited by RosscoPico - 22 July 2015 at 1:59pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2015 at 2:02pm
Well, you can't really tell from the photo, but our Incubus Subs are custom, no others in the world the same as them… but I can't say why
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2015 at 2:23pm
Sure, although I don't think their are that many kinds of 3x21" designs about anyway (I know D&B offer one such model, their J-INFRA subwoofer).

Sounds intriguing anyway and I hope to hear them one day before too long!

Edited by RosscoPico - 22 July 2015 at 2:25pm
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2015 at 2:29pm
During the weekend I've been to a little town near the seaside where I have a small apartment for vacation duties. There's a big private camping site next to it and they've always had this little disco where everyone was free to go. Two years ago they decided to go for something bigger, they started hosting some popular DJs of the area and stepped it up with a horn-loaded soundsystem which is pretty impressive as you won't find anything like this in like 20km radius.
I'm pretty sure this is not totally custom, but since it shares your colour scheme I'll post it here Ross. LOL

The box underneath the comp driver looks to be unloaded, not sure if anyone can recognize the logo. All I know it's that it says NT. Double this on the other side, subs should be 15" and 18".
They also have some kind of ported horn 18"s from the old system, these are grey-blue with grey metal grills.

Edited by Darkstar - 22 July 2015 at 2:33pm
Bass =/= Enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345