Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FLH vs BPH kicks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2014 at 11:54am
Thanks keen!Clap

Djeddie - the drivets im intending to use are fane 18b's, which i gayher have been round for donkies, hopefully it'll make the difference! If for whatever reason they wont meet the mids, im thinking the mod nielpoints thought up on the es18 thread (stupid phone wont let me paste link for some reason? But its on page 14 if anyones interested
Cheers

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 7:47pm
to get any kick bin to meet with the mids well is the answer to have a high order LPF (8th order) and then design the kick's front chamber and HPF on the mids to give a 180 or 360 degree phase difference over the crossover region. I don't see the point in kick bins that go very high - surely something with a large front chamber will filter out harmonic distortion at high output. lower order crossover slopes seem to work for the sub/kick crossover and increase the maximum output.
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Originally posted by thepersonunknown thepersonunknown wrote:

what do people thing of the FLH vs the now standard turbo BPH on kicks? 

IMHO, the Turbosound TSE215H is pretty much the quintessential kick cab.

If you need more oomph (doubtful), ES18 BPH - Electrical version.

Absolutely no need for kick cabs any bigger than those 2x.

Bee has designed a bph kick bin Lev, we have a/b it against the turbo design which I used to own too. Loaded with PD's Bee's cab out performed the Turbosound design with the added bonus of having twice the power handling. It will also play down to 50hz in singels which is lower than most bph of its design. What do you mean by Electricals design? With regards to the es18's that bee also built for them? 

Edited by boots-hifi - 15 August 2014 at 8:20pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 8:22pm
Also im not sure about the limited power handeling of a bhp. Ive got mine loaded with T-Max 1500i's and they just laugh at me every time I run one a side off an inf8mk2. Maybe it's time for a K20 Wink  
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by boots-hifi boots-hifi wrote:

Also im not sure about the limited power handeling of a bph. Ive got mine loaded with T-Max 1500i's and they just laugh at me every time I run one a side off an inf8mk2. Maybe it's time for a K20 Wink  
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 8:47pm
the standard and electrical version of the es18, sound the same, all parameters are the same, just resized to stack nice on hog scoops. Ill try and dig out an rta measurement of both I done a few years back.
https://www.elements-audio.com
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 9:04pm
Ive got them, ill upload in the morning. Maybe the just sound better because their electrical!
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2014 at 11:17am
Originally posted by boots-hifi boots-hifi wrote:

Bee has designed a bph kick bin Lev, we have a/b it against the turbo design which I used to own too. Loaded with PD's Bee's cab out performed the Turbosound design with the added bonus of having twice the power handling. It will also play down to 50hz in singels which is lower than most bph of its design.

That's good, but Roots Reggae & Mic Vocals, don't need kick bin to play low notes really loud.

Need cab/driver combo that does smooth, really flat, 70hz-250hz.

Don't think any 15"/18" BPH will do that, maybe ported FLH might be the deal.

Edited by levyte357- - 16 August 2014 at 11:19am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2014 at 11:26am
Lev at gp, when Knet (channel one was there) you asked me what 18" was in kens kick bins, I said no it's only a 15", boots is on about them the bsw-k115... You no they sounded great, and music was defo roots reggae, with a bit of dub too... why the need for a cab to play so high, crossing over at the critical vocal area..... most good midtops should play down to 180hz..... most horn loaded kicks will struggle to play up to 250hz unless its a straight horn.....

Edited by bee - 16 August 2014 at 2:02pm
https://www.elements-audio.com
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2014 at 7:18pm
Funny enough ive got 8 for sale!
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2014 at 8:36am
Martin audio 215 is the quintessentialkick-cab I say!

Thruly horn loaded hard kick! We've got two mk3s with pd1550 here.
Once I had 115s they're so tiny that a stack of them will fit in your pocket:-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123