Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Point Source Technology

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2014 at 12:45pm
I have measured until I got both the unity horn and the 1,5kHz and 3,5kHz x-overs into paper ruler flat with linear phase response, yes.
I only use REW so I can't do periodic measurements of THD or IMD

But the difference is there: in this venue where I did these listening tests there were a couple of events where I had to do 2 rooms and a few times even 3. 2 of the 3 rooms would have the exact same paper 8" into 1" comp driver crossed at 3,5kHz (which at the time I thought of as being inferior to the unity horn I used in the biggest, main room). Oh boy how wrong I was. After a few hours I couldn't remain the big room because the sound of the paper was so much softer and nicer to my ears. Vocals would sound so much more easy going, and when I would move from the big room to the smaller rooms the SPL would be the same but it was as if you would go outside after hearing loud music for a long time: lots of "empty space" between the loud music. Much easier to hold a conversation etc etc. Not that it wasn't less loud, it was just cleaner.

After that I thought it was about the acoustics, because yes, the bigger room had the nastiest acoustics (even much worse standing waves in the bass/sub region; very hard to find the right location to put the bass stack) and lots of windows! The smaller rooms had walls of bricks and wooden tiles and shit like that, very few windows. So the next event I also put 8" paper in the bigger room to see it would sound better. And yeah it did. Insanely loud, but so much softer and well defined.

I have been hearing this difference for the last 3 months and I don't believe there is a chance that I'm hallucinating. Maybe after hearing something a few times you can still make bad observations but now I've heard it for over maybe 7 times, in the same venue.

And if for some reason someone could prove me wrong here; they should put me in an asylum because I would seriously doubt my objective perception of reality.

Edited by hond - 02 November 2014 at 12:49pm
hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2014 at 12:57pm
snare drums, claps and rim shots sound deadly with the comp driver at 1kHz; it is a cool sound if you're into heavy metal anyway.
whereas at the same levels or louder the 8" sounds so soft with snares and such. A drum machine rim shot (909 and such) almost sounds like someone is actually knocking on a massive oak door :p

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2014 at 1:17pm
I´ve always thought that the idea of using a small mid driver was that you could then have a higher crossover point and avoid the sensitive 1k-3k region. I´ve never heard any 1" comp that I´ve really liked at 1k. Definitely too harsh.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456