Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

phantom power, soundcard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaronski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: phantom power, soundcard
    Posted: 25 January 2013 at 6:07pm
hello,
I have a M-audio fast track pro sound card
input 1 has a measurement mic on it which uses phantom power
i need to split output 1 (using a y cable) so that it goes back to the sound card input 2(ref) and also go to the crossover input.

my question is will the phantom power back feed out of input 2 and go in the output of the sound card and go into the crossover input. will it go pop?
i dont really understand how phantom power works 
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Aaronski Aaronski wrote:

hello,
I have a M-audio fast track pro sound card
input 1 has a measurement mic on it which uses phantom power
i need to split output 1 (using a y cable) so that it goes back to the sound card input 2(ref) and also go to the crossover input.

my question is will the phantom power back feed out of input 2 and go in the output of the sound card and go into the crossover input. will it go pop?
i dont really understand how phantom power works 
If you connect a jack, be it mono or stereo, from an output of the soundcard to the input, you will not get any phantom power on it. Phantom power is only applied to the xlr pins on the input channels for use with microphones. So no, there is no problem and nothing will go pop ;)

Edit; Btw, if this is for a measurement setup using smaart or whatever, you could try to set the output reference signal (presumably pink noise) to output 2 and the auxiliary output to spdif. Then connect a simple cinch>cinch lead from the spdif output to spdif input and in the program set the spdif input to the reference signal.
This way you won't even need to make up a y-lead.

Edited by Teunos - 25 January 2013 at 6:45pm
Best regards,
Teun.
Aaronski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaronski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 6:53pm
thank you :) 
 Post Reply Post Reply