Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

kick bin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kick bin
    Posted: 18 December 2006 at 2:07pm
hi this is not technically about scoops so you might argue its in the wrong section but as most people in this section own them i was wondering what you all have on top of them,

what speakers do you use to meet the bins at what 80-90hz

im lookiing for a mid bass bin to cover 80-90 hz +

thanks
Matthias View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 3:16pm
i have 15" reflex above the scoops, but i would build something hornloaded like the x-tro, another good option is to build something like the hd15 above them and run them at 80hz.

The thing is, if i could turn back time i would not build scoops anymore. scoops are a "compromise bin" ( we have 4 in a stack ) it is not 100% of everything. build some long 21" horns for 30hz-80hz bass and then something like the hd15 and 2x12"+x hornloaded tops and you will have a wicked set Iyah. Remember, it is much much work to build scoops and they are good but there are better things out there even for roots/dub.
josh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 5:53pm
yeah i see where your coming from, ive allready built the scoops, and like you said they are great im happy with them however ill probably be tempted to change to the 186 horn or similar allowing me to play more of a range of music.

but thatnks for the advice, the hd215 is an option ive been looking at im just worried about the fact that they only seem to be able to go to around 200hz i was wondering if i could get something which could cover to a higher frequency range? ill have a look into the x-tro though
Matthias View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 11:51am
what tops do you want to build? tell me why you want a bassbin which is going over 200hz. you have scoops, lets say to 100hz for infrabass ( like i said its a compromise...a scoop isnt a infrabass at all but they are good araound 60hz, 4 of them are ok to give you deeper bassline ) then hd15 lets say to 160hz for a well kickbass. it is no problem to run good 12" drivers from there. what do you plan exactly? what music?
josh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 8:41am
yeah im not entirely sure to be honest, i think your right ill go for the hd215 and take it up to about 160-180, then meet it with mt122 or something similar.

i think ill also have to replace my current crossover, from som reason the lowest crossover frequency it allows from low mid - mid is 440hz (behringer cx3400)
Matthias View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 12:20pm
it would be a heavy set bro, i had exactly this x-over too its gone after 1 year we had to stop the dance, its crap eat only potatoes one month and a digidrive or dbx is yours :). the dbx controller seems to be interesting because it has a subharmonic synth which creates frequencies to the music. this will increase your low output from the scoops hard! but be sure dont spank them too much and use a highpassfilter ( i think there are switchable hpf in it but i dont know ) of 30hz to safe your speakers. earthquake style! My thought was that the "secret" of a reggae-preamp is all about bassdistortion who has a near similar effect like a subharmonic synth. who thinks i am right?
josh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2006 at 10:36am
cheers mate youve been a star, looks like it is a hd215 and a new crossover.
 Post Reply Post Reply