Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My HiFi Boom Box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphabetikal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2013 at 10:32am
so when using the pocketmixer - the overall output signal will come out lower volume than the inputs (say ipod etc)? 
because its passive it looses/wastes power?

Baron Greenback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baron Greenback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2013 at 7:34pm
Yes mate the volume is lower although being able to adjust the bass/mid/treble off a passive device is pretty cool in all fairness, also it gets around the issue of needing to power down or mute the tunes whilst an alternative signal source is connected, so in that regard it is a bit swings and round-abouts.  Does not bother me too much about the lower volume output from the Pokket Mixer, to my ear the quality is still there, just the amp needs to work harder.  That actually is what I am after in all fairness as the tube amplifier is pretty damn efficient and sends out quite a hot signal any ways so a little attenuation of the source signal will not hurt.  Also as it is passive despite the mentioned volume drop, no extra signal noise seems to be introduced which in my eyes is pretty important at this stage of the gain structure. Will keep you guys updated as to how things are progressing.

Edited by Baron Greenback - 29 June 2013 at 7:37pm
The doctor recons I'm paranoid... well he didn't say it exactly, but I just knew the bastard was thinking it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baron Greenback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2013 at 10:48pm
Scratch my last post about the efficiency of the tube pre-amplifier it is able to produce great sound and is has plenty of balls, but efficient it cannot possibly be, it produces way too much heat to be classed as efficient.  But I am going to go with it as it really does add something to the sound in those mid regions that I simply cannot seem to replicate with digital pre-amplification,  Will keep you posted, I will start building at the end of this month so watch this space!
The doctor recons I'm paranoid... well he didn't say it exactly, but I just knew the bastard was thinking it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baron Greenback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2013 at 1:39pm
So I have finished my course, and I can now build my boombox, here is the design concept, I have cut the timber (birch-ply) and will do the routing on Monday, but here is what I am going to build... oh and just to clarify I am going to use 2 x pre-amps, they will be switchable, one will be digital for longer battery life and the other will be a tube pre-amp which sounds superb but due to heat production I am guessing will 'eat' amp hours.

And here it is x-ray style:

1008mm wide, 300mm high and 370mm deep.

Edited by Baron Greenback - 26 July 2013 at 1:41pm
Brummiejon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brummiejon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2013 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Baron Greenback Baron Greenback wrote:

That Pokket mixer is awesome, also being passive it will not introduce any extra noise, very nice find, very nice indeed as it is the perfect way to switch between various different ipods etc without having to turn the volume down first, this would be ideal in a party situation me thinks! Also it is made in Germany! that in it's self adds major reassurances, it is one thing being designed in a place and then made elsewhere such as behringer gear, but stuff that is actually made in Germany is usually very good build quality.

I bought one after reading this, just over £40 from a Spanish seller at Amazon... I don't think much to it, tone controls are next to useless, build quality isn't as good as you'd think (definately not BMW) , not worth £40 let alone the £68 that other sellers are asking....... Ok as something to fade one device into another, but its not actually what I would call a mixer.

Nice idea and may get me out of a hole one day, but if this is as good as passive mixers get, forget it.......

BJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baron Greenback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2013 at 7:16am
Not being funny my man brummiejon but a few points need to be looked at a little closer here... what do you want from tone controls? Mine seem to attenuate the bass, mid and treble freq. just fine, are expecting a passive unit to boost these frequencies at any point? also, what is the big dig at build quality, the PCB is solid, good quality, the pots are decent, fader seems pretty reasonable for the price, and all of the soldering is belt and braces (not skimped on).  What build improvements would you like to see, I hate it when people provide non-constructive criticism... the only thing I would like to see improved would be the usual... jack sockets, but hey man, you are spending in your case £40... I suppose you are disappointed with how hot it has been this year too eh... Cry 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brummiejon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2013 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Baron Greenback Baron Greenback wrote:

Not being funny my man brummiejon but a few points need to be looked at a little closer here... what do you want from tone controls? Mine seem to attenuate the bass, mid and treble freq. just fine, are expecting a passive unit to boost these frequencies at any point? also, what is the big dig at build quality, the PCB is solid, good quality, the pots are decent, fader seems pretty reasonable for the price, and all of the soldering is belt and braces (not skimped on).  What build improvements would you like to see, I hate it when people provide non-constructive criticism... the only thing I would like to see improved would be the usual... jack sockets, but hey man, you are spending in your case £40... I suppose you are disappointed with how hot it has been this year too eh... Cry 

OK....tone controls attenuate so little as to be little use, I have to strain to tell the difference. I'm not expecting "Boost" but I am expecting more difference in tone from min to max, the "mid" range has the most change..... build quality.... plastic back, cheap plastic vol control on the headphone.... the "tone control indents" do not meet at midpoint, anyway, what is the point of an indent when there is no "cut/boost"? Unless you are trying to impress the ignorant........

Your comment about how hot it has been this year is unwarranted and uncalled for, hope you aren't trying to get personal......... FYI, I have been busy putting on beach parties in this hot weather and the Pokketmixer has not been received favourably by the DJ's...... Unlike my Boominator........

You are entitled to your opinion and I'm just giving mine, sorry if you think that these points are not "constructive" but I really think that I have just wasted £40....

BJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brummiejon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2014 at 1:18pm
Hi

Did you ever get this built? how did it turn out?

BJ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12