Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

back pack boom box help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2013 at 10:43am
Slaz, here's a Boominator signature playing at low volume inside a gym. Sound decent enough.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202396014004538

Don't know why it doesn't work as direct link but if you copy paste the address it does.

Edited by Saturnus - 12 December 2013 at 10:53am
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2013 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Just curious - I know the Boominator is designed for use in "open space" ... but what happens if you DO place it against a wall ? (Lets assume on the pavement/sidewalk against a brick wall)  How does it behave ?

As you'd expect, increased bass output. It's only when brought indoors in something less than gym sized building (ie, four walls, a floor and a roof), you'd have a decidedly negative effect.

Hmmm .... well - still curious Tongue - if you were designing a box/system specifically for that scenario (against a wall, outdoors "in the street") - what box design/driver layout would you go for ?

Edited by slaz - 12 December 2013 at 10:57am
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2013 at 10:57am

Just curious - I know the Boominator is designed for use in "open space" ... but what happens if you DO place it against a wall ? (Lets assume on the pavement/sidewalk against a brick wall)  How does it behave ?

As you'd expect, increased bass output. It's only when brought indoors in something less than gym sized building (ie, four walls, a floor and a roof), you'd have a decidedly negative effect.

Hmmm .... well - still curious Tongue - if you were designing a box/system specifically for that scenario (against a wall) - what box design/driver layout would you go for ?

Let me put it this way. I will not design another system that is not bipolar Wink

I am truly convinced that it is the only option if you want true music fidelity in any situation. With DSP you can even make a bipolar speaker into a full-range cardioid speaker, meaning you actually can control directivity so that it only plays forward or anything in between but it's only possible for a true bipolar speaker.

Edited by Saturnus - 12 December 2013 at 11:00am
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2013 at 10:59am
Originally posted by tcourtneyvincent tcourtneyvincent wrote:

Hmm what do you mean by negative effect?

Bass gets so bloated that it's no longer possible to hear details. In order words, it gets muddy.

tcourtneyvincent View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2013 at 11:44am

The piezo tweeters in the pack do not require a high pass filter beyond a single 47ohm series resistor on each.

There are no 4 ohm version of HP10W available. But that means you can use cheap as dirt amps that are only good at 8 ohms instead like the below. Note that neither of these should be used with 4 ohm speakers:

For 12V: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MKll-TA2024-Fully-Finished-Tested-PCB-Power-Digital-Amplifier-Board-2x15W-12V-/360626685157?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item53f70684e5 

For 24V: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TK2050-50W-50W-2x50W-Class-T-HIFI-Stereo-Audio-Amplifier-Board-/181232868690?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item2a32521d52

If it were just that simple. No, I strongly recommend not changing any measurements of the speaker compartment or the port/handle. If it sounded better going lower with a small change in cabinet volume I would have designed it so. As any other ultra-resonant system, the Boominator works because it's the perfect storm of doing many things wrong in order for the outcome to be right. Changing one parameter makes the whole systems strengths collapse and you're left with something that will not only not play deeper bass but won't sound like it does either. That's the trick here, it sounds like it plays really deep bass, while in fact it doesn't. And that's the whole point. 

So would these amps be the same as the amp6 running into 8ohm? i ask because they look to have a lower efficacy rating and lower wattage.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2013 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by tcourtneyvincent tcourtneyvincent wrote:

So would these amps be the same as the amp6 running into 8ohm? i ask because they look to have a lower efficacy rating and lower wattage.

The top one would be exactly the same. The bottom one is for 24V, ie. 2 12V batteries in series. It'll have 4 times the output power capability at about the same efficiency, just remember that it consumes almost the same in idle and the 12V amp does at full volume (about 4W) so instead of lasting about 20 hours at close to maximum volume on a single 7Ah battery as the 12V amp does, it lasts about 4 hours at close to maximum volume on a pair of 7Ah batteries.

Edited by Saturnus - 12 December 2013 at 12:24pm
roopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2016 at 2:28pm

The piezo tweeters in the pack do not require a high pass filter beyond a single 47ohm series resistor on each.

There are no 4 ohm version of HP10W available. But that means you can use cheap as dirt amps that are only good at 8 ohms instead like the below. Note that neither of these should be used with 4 ohm speakers:

For 12V:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/MKll-TA2024-Fully-Finished-Tested-PCB-Power-Digital-Amplifier-Board-2x15W-12V-/360626685157?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item53f70684e5 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/MKll-TA2024-Fully-Finished-Tested-PCB-Power-Digital-Amplifier-Board-2x15W-12V-/360626685157?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item53f70684e5 

For 24V:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/TK2050-50W-50W-2x50W--T-HIFI-Stereo-Audio-Amplifier-Board-/181232868690?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item2a32521d52 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/TK2050-50W-50W-2x50W-Class-T-HIFI-Stereo-Audio-Amplifier-Board-/181232868690?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item2a32521d52

If it were just that simple. No, I strongly recommend not changing any measurements of the speaker compartment or the port/handle. If it sounded better going lower with a small change in cabinet volume I would have designed it so. As any other ultra-resonant system, the Boominator works because it's the perfect storm of doing many things wrong in order for the outcome to be right. Changing one parameter makes the whole systems strengths collapse and you're left with something that will not only not play deeper bass but won't sound like it does either. That's the trick here, it sounds like it plays really deep bass, while in fact it doesn't. And that's the whole point. 

Using a cheaper amp (TA2024) instead of a maxamp20 would I be loosing a lot of loudness and sound quality?
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2016 at 10:13am
What's that much cheaper than a Maxamp?
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123