Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MT 102 or MT 122 for dj system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKEY SOUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MT 102 or MT 122 for dj system
    Posted: 03 November 2004 at 1:00pm

Which of the two is preferable for a dj system top? Which one would have the longer throw?

I note the MT 102 is a rectangular box. How would one splay them if you use more than one per side? How much a gap between the outer front corners of adjacent boxes? Should the rear outer corners touch? Those slanted sheets for the horn look like a pain to make. 

Is 120 degrees of total horizontal coverage sufficient or should one aim for 180 degrees.

If I were making the MT102, I would make the sides slanted. Any reasons why not?

whitehousejamie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 1:02pm

Steve (Joe Grime) has made some trapozoidal versions of the of the MT102s. The 122s would throw further, but how big are the venues you play at? And how many people?

MIKEY SOUL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKEY SOUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 1:11pm

Most of my playing as been at small size banquet halls, clubs, and the odd outdoor gigs usually less than 1,000 heads.

whitehousejamie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 1:13pm

You would probrably be better off building some X12s then.

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 1:27pm

Hi.

I never used either box. But, I would imagine, each one would offer their own -3dB points. You should take that into consideration, when comparing the two.

Either one could be used for DJ Applications. However, you should focus on which one will work best with the type of bass cabinet, you are planning to use with them.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Gull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2004 at 1:45pm

We've just sold a couple of MT102s with trap cabs, they are the ones being built on this page.  http://www.speakerplans.com/page181.html

I'm not a massive fan of them and we'll be building MT122s shortly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKEY SOUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 2:14am

Hello: I've got an adequate system at present but was thinking about possibly converting to a horn system.

Here are some details:

Pair of 2x18" sub. Bass reflex Jbl 2241. Baltic birch 18mm braced to the extreme. Weighs appx 250 lbs each.

Pair of Top boxes . MTM bass reflex. All Beyma . 2-12" mid 12LX60 and 2" compression driver CP850/ND mounted on TD 360 horn. Rectangular box. 18mm Baltic birch. weighs appx. 125 lbs each.

When I need some more bass punch I have available, pair of 48"x36"X24"  bins, loaded with 4 Jbl 2226 on a short quasi horn. 18mm Baltic birch. weighs appx. 275 lbs each. I dread moving these.

I have 3 Crown 5000VZ amps and BSS fds.388 Omnidrive crossover.

I also have a pair of Tannoy CPA 12 top boxes, which I can use as a dj monitors or  tops for a smaller gigs.

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 10:25am
If you going for horn tops you also have to exchange your subs, because they won't play that well to the frequency those hornloaded tops need as minimum crossover freq..... you could add some HD15 to fill that gap..... but the system won't be very compact then....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKEY SOUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2004 at 12:18pm

Hey JD01: The changeover would be to an all horn loaded system. 

Post Reply Post Reply