Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

post-charge voltage of SLA batteries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: post-charge voltage of SLA batteries
    Posted: 19 March 2014 at 10:38am
For the folk using 12V SLAs ....

Just wondering what voltage people are seeing after their normal charge cycle.

I have several SLAs :_

1 x 7Ah Ritar bought new last year - always charged soon after use and gets maintenance charge every few weeks during winter.

13.19V

1 x 7Ah Powersonic I got given - unused at the time, but likely had sat on a shelf for some months without maintenance charge.

13.00V

1 x 7Ah Yucel that I bought new 4 years ago - not so well maintained - still works ....

12.10V

2 x Yuasa 24Ah mobility-scooter type .... 1 was unused, 1 used - both had a few months without maintenance charge before I was given em.

12.76V and 12.73V respectively

1 x 24Ah Ritar bought unused but prob not maintained for some months before it came to me (fitted to a jump-start case) - lightly used - always maintained.

13.02V

These days I use a Lidl £12.99 smart charger for all the above - set to charge at 14.4V (it also has a 14.7V setting).

These voltages are measured with a cheapie little digital meter about 10-20 mins after charge has completed.

What do other folk see ? ... and please indicate what kind of charger/regime do you use ?
Reason for asking is - I wonder to what extent the post-charge voltage indicates the real-world battery condition.

Edited by slaz - 19 March 2014 at 11:11am
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2014 at 1:55pm
A fully charged 6 cell lead-acid battery in good condition should read about 13 - 13.2v immediately after charge and for some time if nothing is connected, and should drop to 12.8v under moderate load. I usually assume the range from charged to discharged is 1 volt, from 12.8v down to 11.8v, with each 0.1v drop representing 10% capacity used. I try not to go below 12.0v in normal use though.
That Yucel 7Ah definitely has a problem, and should read higher than that. I bet if you put a load on it like a 12 ohm power resistor (for a 1A current) it drops right down to about 11.0v, yes?
According to some fearless geeks wearing rubber gloves on Youtube, it is possible to top up even a gel battery with distilled water, and sometimes this recovers lost capacity. It might also be worth trying a desulphation device to clean the plates.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2014 at 4:21pm
Most of my 12v batteries read 13.4 to 13.6v after charge. In use they hold steady at 13.2-4 until they drop to 12.8 after an hour, and then stay there and gradually go down to 11v when fully discharged about 8-24hr hours later. Bearing in mind they are 120ah deep cycle running bigger systems.
 Post Reply Post Reply