Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do reggae sounds use scoops?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Lebowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do reggae sounds use scoops?
    Posted: 20 April 2014 at 2:26pm
Hi,

I am wondering why so many people are using scoops for their low end. I have seen countless frequency response graphs for scoops, and they all have a very uneven response across the spectrum. It's like a comb filter sort of thing..

Practically every Reggae/Dub sound system use scoops and I can't work out why considering the FR of that particular design. Surely you would want a speaker with a flatter response? Or is it that they are good at covering a narrow band at a higher SPL and are used with other subs to compensate for the other frequencies?

Pretty new to all this, but have been doing a lot of research so please forgive if my terminology is slightly off track..

Thanks!

King Simeon View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Simeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2014 at 4:36pm
Reggae sounds don't follow any book and freq studying as a tradition. Personally a flat response is a basic start point, but not a characteristic. Different music genres have their own traditions and characteristics.  

It's a topic that has filled a few pages on this forum. Some sounds have used some study and testing to get more out of their sounds, many still use scoops. It's not what you read, it's what you hear is also a big point. 

It's a specific type of bass that scoops give that reggae sound mostly want. 
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound?ref=stream     
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
Selector Waxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Selector Waxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 1:25pm
Scoops is a combination of frontloaded and horn speaker, wich causes phase issues as the vibrations from the front and from the horn (comming from the back of the driver) don't travel the same distance to your ears. This gives a chorus like effect wich creates a warmer bass sound.

Strictly front loaded or horn loaded or bandpass speakers don't have this issue/feature...

Edited by Selector Waxx - 23 April 2014 at 1:56pm
supapowa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supapowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2014 at 10:01am
Efficiency + most like how scoops play.

Jhodas View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2014 at 4:35pm
Uneven driver loading + phase strangeness  = distortion harmonics. 
Most of which sit around the resonant frequency of the human chest cavity.
Result: Bass that shoves you around. 

*this may or may not be a load of bovine excrement. 
Until the Lions have their own historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter.
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2014 at 4:51pm
Scoops are highly efficient bass horns that give some degree of gain when used in their frequency range, any dips or peaks in response tend to be outside the intended range.

I would say one scoop in hand is worth two reflex in the bush.
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2014 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by burningbush burningbush wrote:

Scoops are highly efficient bass horns that give some degree of gain when used in their frequency range, any dips or peaks in response tend to be outside the intended range.

I would say one scoop in hand is worth two reflex in the bush.

yes 1 15" scoop is worth 2 18"reflex in the bush LOL
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2014 at 7:49pm
It would also seem like the Scoop is a cab where many people can put their own stamp on it. Most times I only hear Sound effects from them, usually from the misuse of the equipment, which is why there is a big re-cone business within the Scoop community.Wink
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2014 at 12:37pm
I'll get you coat Tony, taxis here. LOL
music is the message
 Post Reply Post Reply