Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cubo sub / es18 bph combo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cubo sub / es18 bph combo?
    Posted: 23 April 2014 at 12:29am
Anyone pickled this idea? the boxes are of a similar shape and should stack well .

My Idea was to build 4 cubo subs loaded with my fane 18 1500's covering 30 - 80 hz and then 4 es18's  , not sure what the best driver is for these but they would be ran from 80 to 160 . 

Is there any reason these two boxes would not be suit as a two way bass set up? 

My plan would be to eventually build 8 es18's in total , I have heard that the pd 186 is a well suited driver for the es18 , is the mrk2 pd 186 much different and is it still well suited to the es18 . 

Would the sub to kick ratio be well matched . 

I have contacted the cubo designer and he has confirmed that the 18 1500 would be a good match for the cubo sub so long as it is run with a lot of power , and it will be :) 
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 12:46am
they should work very well. you could make the es18 to fit perfect on cubo... this wont effect sound from the es18 by a lot, it will give a bit more in the lower hz region (about 5hz gain), and a 1db drop in the 120hz to 130hz region......

the 186 / 2 will be perfect.....
https://www.elements-audio.com
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 11:52pm
thats good news :) 

I wouldnt be too bothered about them being the same size as i kinda like the slight pyramid style stack :) 

Although the lower cut off sounds good as the play would be to eventually build 8 es18's that could be used with out a sub for things like techno or smaller gigs . 

boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2014 at 11:45am
Surely a stack of es18's when coupled will drop as low if not lower than a block of cubo 18's as they dont benifit from group coupling. So although the cubo is a good box it wont play high enough to meet most mid tops hence the reason for the es18's, but if you want to build a multiple box system just build 8 Es 18's without the cubo's this way you will gain the frequency extention desired and probably same time and money in the process along with verious other traits such as delay and phase issues between the two design.

Edited by boots-hifi - 24 April 2014 at 11:48am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 2:15pm
Good point , really the reason for swaying towards a two way bass set up is I have 4 drivers suited the cubo sub , ( not the regular cubo ) . 

Also I was under the impression that the the es18's wont drop to do sub , even in large stacks , is this wrong?

My final goal would be to 8 es18's anyway i think , but it would be nice to have the option of a scalable system when using a smaller set up and the coupling effect wont be present .
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 5:39pm
i think sol said he has a cubo sub he built which is sitting empty at his.. i'm sure he'd be up for lending it / trying other drivers in it.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 7:58pm
3 doubles a side, will do 40hz
https://www.elements-audio.com
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 8:34pm
powering/moving 6 sets of double es 18s is a bit beyond me at this time . 

Yea Steve he does I must give him a bell . 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2014 at 7:11pm
Ordered A pd186.2 yesterday to build a es18 and see do i like them , will also be building a cubo sub to see how they work with each other :) 
 Post Reply Post Reply