Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what 6.5" midbass + 1.5" tweeter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashgwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 8:49am
i have focal in my car and im really happy with them, i think its these ones 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-Polyglass-170V-17cm-16-2-Way-Car-Component-Speakers-System-/331108578600?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4d179bf528
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by bitSmasher bitSmasher wrote:

Is the driver from an M1, a reflex box, best suited for flapping around in free air?

not a clue, probably not, but have the drivers sat around from a load of blown amp cabs [actually have 6x broken A1 actives in various states of buggered] so thought id try it... sounded awesome at first, really nice mid range and pretty impressive bottom end... but then the headunit overheated, took out a tweeter, and damaged the amp so now get no bass.

ho hum, maybe ill upgrade to 1850's powered off an infinite8 V2 powered off a massive inverter fed off a battery bank n 2nd alternator... or not.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 12:45pm
Is the head unit dead now?
music is the message
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 12:48pm
not dead, but has little bottom end, and does some kind of 'protect' mode after about 10minutes limiting the output volume considerably until it cools down a bit... will replace it next week when i get a chance and carry on from there!

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 12:54pm
Nightmare.  Good luck bro.
music is the message
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 1:59pm
My mate greeef uses a Peerless 6.5" home-theatre subwoofer driver in his doors (in a Honda Civic/Rover 75). They sound great, but he has had issues with water ingress, as they're very deep and difficult to make a sealed box for that fits in the door and allows the window to work. I reckon you're looking for a fairly low-FS, medium-Xmax driver - high Xmax would be desirable but would usually require a motor structure with too much depth to fit in a car door. Perhaps a Beyma 8BR40?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 2:18pm
will try a proper headunit next and see if that helps, midtop sounds great, thinking if i find a headunit with adjustable highpass changeable between front/rear, im thinking keep the current front as midhi, and change the rear door pair for small carsubs to get the low response, and sod audio quality for passengers its for me!!

sub isn't an option, need the bootspace and don't need the hassle of the install.

cars an astra estate mk4 from 2004, the headunit is some Siemens standard thing not terribly good in any shape or form!!

GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 6:40pm
You'll probably find just putting in a good head unit will make a big difference to the sound from the original speakers.
100% Earth Moving Bass
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 12:56pm
swapped back the OEM drivers... all fine again - guess i fecked the M1 drivers over haha [oops]. Oh well, was worth a try. Also popped out the broken tweeter, is a tiny little thing - but from probing with the multimeter the problem is in the 'crossover components' on the back [capacitor + some black coiled resistor im guessing], no power is making it to the diaphragm itself but as replacements are about £2 on ebay, i shall just replace for now. I never did look around the car to see what worked and what didn't, so shall restore what is for now and go from there when i have some money to kill.

Cheers for the input folks Thumbs Up

beer_n_chips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer_n_chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 9:48am
You said you need the boot space, so you can't have a sub.

However you can by doing the following: sub box with a 4 pole speakon for ease of fast disconnection when you need the boot space.
        Amp will be under one of the seats and bolted down.
And also add one of those sprung recessed metal handles on the sub box to easily grip it.

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2014 at 10:48am
...you can also get subs that sit in your spare wheel. They are not great in anyway but can replace the bottom end a little, let you keep your boot and take away any stress trying to get any sort of bass out of your head unit. Its a compact "bass" solution that will keep you happy for now...

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12